First Love

"Mohabbat bhi zindagi ki tarah hoti hai, har mod aasaan nahin hota, har mod par khushi nahin milti, par jab hum zindagi ka saath nahin chhorte, to mohabbat ka saath kyon chhorein."

(trans. Love is like life. Not everything is easy, and you won't find happiness all the time. But when we don't abandon life, then why should we abandon love?)

_____

"Sheetal, is there anyone else with an appointment?"

"No sir. But... Dr Satya, the patient in the Operation Room," Sheetal informs her boss. "His family members are asking for you to tell them what is going on."

He looks up from the file in front of him, and sighs. "He's also Dr Joshi's patients. Where's Dr Joshi?"

"She's organizing a medical team to send out to assist the fallen officers down at the forest encounter going on. It's all over the newspapers. Do you not know?" Sheetal explains, curious. 

"Right... Do I look like a nerd who sits at the front deck with his glasses on to read the daily newspaper?" Satya questions, raising a brow. Sheetal shakes her head in response.

"The news is on in the canteen, if you want to go check it out." 

"Not right now." he refuses, leaving his cabin, and pulling on his white coat for the first time all day. "Like you said, there's a family out there wondering about their loved one's condition."

"Yes sir." she nods, pursing her lips. "See you soon sir."

The day had started maniacally. The moment he had stepped into work today, one of his patients collapsed in his office of a heart attack, most likely caused by blocked arteries. From what it says in his file, he has had high cholesterol for a while now, and as far as Satya knows, the medications don't seem to have been working. 

And what happened after the patient was sent in for an emergency surgery? His sister came in to meet him, and Sheetal thought it was his girlfriend. That was one awkward moment, one that even though he wants to, he can't erase from his head. Maddy proceeded to pry on him, whether he actually had a girlfriend, especially if his colleagues are beginning to ask. 

"Sir, do you know what is wrong with my father?" a man, probably not past the age of 25, questions, grasping Satya's arm. "He said he was just going in for a check up and then this-"

"I can't assure you anything, but from what I have been told so far, your father may be able to make a full recovery." Satya answers professionally, passing him a consoling smile. "He's in good hands."

"Are you sure, Doctor Saab?" 

"I am sure." Satya nods, patting the man on the shoulder. The family sighs in relief, holding hands with each other. It warms something in Satya's heart. Perhaps it's the love they all share for their father. He wishes he had managed to meet his father before he died. 

Satya immediately shakes the thought from his head. Why is he even wondering about that traitor of a man? So, he continues to Sai's office, and finds a group of people leaving it, each carrying medical equipment, and a bag of bulletproof vests... just in case. 

"Good luck." he wishes with a smile, and waves. "Try not to get shot."

"Dr Satya." Sai rolls her eyes, annoyed by his statement. "That is really not going to help their nerves."

"Oh, Dr Chidku, I have to say you take things way too seriously." Satya shakes his head. 

"Well, in a high stress situation like this, people need to be calm, composed, and organized. Not laughing or working up their nerves." Sai reasons, crossing her arms. "Anyway, what do you want from me?"