Chapter 5

"Jasmin! Wake up!" 

Jasmin gasped awake, her eyes flaring open. Something shook her shoulders, and she drew her wings around herself, heart beating furiously. 

"Hey. Calm down. It's me, Winter." 

"And Kinkajou!" Another dragon yelped. The familiar voices made Jasmin peek out of her small shelter behind her wings. Sure enough, a glittering blue IceWing and a pink-and-yellow RainWing were looking down at her anxiously. 

"Oh. Hello. I'm sorry, I'm such a mess right now," Jasmin sat up, and she gingerly touched her neck, where a long, cruel scar remained. When Wasp beat me with a melting bit of metal chain. 

"You were moving around and shouting about something, so we woke you up." Winter looked down at Eclipse who wounded herself around Jasmin. The hybrid flicked her tail back and forth, watching how Eclipse pounced on it and let it go again. 

"Why is there an ocelot playing with your tail?" Kinkajou asked.

"Is he your next meal?" Winter butted in, his ice-blue eyes glancing at the furry black-and-silver shape.

"It's a she," Jasmin glared at him. "And no, Eclipse is not my food. I'm quite satisfied with desert rats, thank you very much."

"She's your pet!" Kinkajou squealed. "Wow! I thought you said you had a pet sloth?"

"Used to, yeah," Jasmin scowled. "But a NightWing ate him."

"Oh. Well," Kinkajou bounced up and down. "Guess why we're here?"

"Why you're here," Winter cut in. "I wanted nothing to do with this. You're the one who-"

"Fine. I came here to visit you and Moon and Glory! Qibli's not leaving Thorn's side at the moment, and Turtle's having family time with Queen Coral and Auklet. He took a break from school for that. Moon's taken a break, too, you know. So she could spend more time with her mother and Peacemaker."

"So the only one who didn't have a busy schedule was the IceWing prince?" Jasmin grinned. 

"I was going to analyze Wren a bit more, but a certain bouncy RainWing dragged me over here," Winter complained. 

"Well, you two can go ahead and find Glory and Moon," Jasmin said. "I have someone to find."

"Wait- you're not coming?" Kinkajou looked at her, baffled. 

"I see those two every day," Jasmin pointed out. "I need to find Qibli. I think he knows something I need right now."