Chapter Twenty-Five

Katana

"God my body is exhausted," I say to Camryn as I throw myself onto my bed.

"Thought ya didn't get laid?" Camryn shouts back from the other room while she feeds Moose for me.

Rolling my eyes, I shout to her, "What are you dressing me up as today? A princess? Maybe a unicorn?"

Camryn makes her way to the bedroom, fake laughing the whole way. She gets up to the doorway and leans against the doorframe with her arms crossed before seriously saying, "A Ferrari fangirl," and then opening the closet. Cam throws a pile of clothes onto me as I sit up in an attempt to protest her ideas.

"C'mon why can't I support McLaren with you or any of the other teams?" I beg.

She snaps her head back to me, gives me her meanest mom's look, and points to the bathroom door.

"You're lucky you scare me," I say as I grab the clothes and make my way to the bathroom. After getting dressed, I decided to snap a picture for my Instagram. The light-wash jean shorts with frayed ends shows off my tan legs and hourglass figure. It also includes a white crop top with spaghetti straps and a straight neckline that shows off minimal cleavage. Over my top, I have a red and white Ferrari jersey-style shirt that is open in the front so that I don't die of heat stroke and a similar Ferrari ballcap that holds my long hair out of my face. I decide to leave my hair down to cover the giant "16" on my back, which I have come to realize is Charles's number. Thanks, Cam...

While editing it for my post, I decided to tag Ferrari, Carlos Sainz, and Charles Leclerc. I don't know if I wanted him to see it or not, but about 13 seconds after I posted it, Charles liked it. Shaking my head, I clear out of the app and make my way back into the bedroom to see Cam.

"Alright, practice at 12:30 pm and the big qualifying at 4 pm. You ready for another day of racing?" Camryn asks, practically bouncing.

I love the track, everything about it has me buzzing with excitement so I say, "Absolutely!"

Camryn shines a bright, devious smile, before she says, "Good because Charles and Lando are here to pick us up. Let's go!"

My smile drops as I frown at Camryn's sneaky self, "I hate you sometimes." In response to my admission of hate, she blows me a kiss and walks out the door. Following suit, I shine Moose a bright smile and tap my "3B" for good luck after locking my door.

When we get outside, I notice Charles' 488 Pista and Landos McLaren sitting side by side. "What the-" I question as Camryn gives me her cutest guilty look and says, "Okay, see you there, bye!" Camryn rushes out her last words before sprinting to Lando's car, it's probably safer for her over there. Angrily, I walk over to Charles' Ferrari where the door is now open and waiting for me. I get inside easily now after the number of times I've had to put up with this man.

"You're really coming with?" Charles asks with hope in his eyes.

"Yes, Charles. I'm going, but only because Daniel promised to watch Moose when I get stuck hanging out with you." I say in a flat tone, trying to seem nonchalant about the fact that I'm about to travel the fucking world.

Charles looks at me and begins laughing before saying, "I'm glad you'll be there, you better be a good luck charm or I'll take you home myself."

Those beautiful green eyes bore into mine as I attempted to make an angry face. His dimples make it so hard to concentrate and as the weekend goes on, his stubble becomes more pronounced and more attractive.

"Oh my god just shut up and drive, safely this time. Thanks," I say, nonchalantly as I stare out the window. I can't tell if I love or hate the confidence, but I can definitely say that this man is frustrating and frustratingly sexy. Maybe I should go to church.

↫↬

Cars fly by as they leave the pits and line up on the track for their warm-up lap. Camryn and I are sitting along the pit wall where we can see the screens, but also the track so we get both angles. We both have headsets on, prepared for Landos' musical number during the radio check and Camryn is bouncing with energy. I can't say that I don't feel the same, something about the cars just get me so energized and feel so free.

Just as the cars line up for a second time, I hear an unfamiliar voice say, "Radio check." Looking over at Camryn, she doesn't seem to think anything is different so I let it go until I hear him.

"Radio check. Let's hope I don't run anyone over," Charles says with a laugh. That sneaky boy managed to bribe someone into putting me on the Ferrari team radio, but I can't complain because his voice is just so soothing. I know that the radios get broadcasted sometimes, so while we know the inside joke, nobody else will and that makes me feel funny inside. Butterflies maybe? I don't know, but I'm swooning all over again.

The lights start shining red before we hear the words, "It's lights out, and away we go!" Cars fly out of their starting positions and try to overtake at the beginning, with only a few being successful. Lando nearly gets pushed off the track, causing Camryn to grab my arm so tightly that her knuckles have turned white. He manages to make it through and follows in P2 behind Charles who luckily stayed out of the havoc. Max and Checo collided with each other and ended up with their cars off the track, letting Daniel into P3. No safety car was deployed as the cars were able to drive back into the pits after everyone had passed them, but you can hear Charles ask over the radio, "Is everyone alright? Was that the Red Bulls?"

After they confirm that everything is alright, Charles announces to his team, "Alright guys, let's get this race done in honor of Moose the Cat."

Immediately I start laughing with a bright smile on my face, leaving people around me to look at me like I may be crazy. I hate the limelight, but I can't say Moose would feel the same. I'm glad to be here, Cam and I are about to rule this world.