Chapter Thirty-Two

Katana

I decided to get out of bed at noon after a very shitty morning of being harassed by internet trolls. Charles continued to reassure me, but nothing could help at the moment. I shut everyone out, including Cam, who had called me at least a hundred times to ensure I was okay. I love her, but I needed time to think about everything.

People from my town back home called and sent texts, some asking for signed hats and others calling me a gold digger. When I finally got up, I went to the shower and let the steam take over my body. Hot water flowed through my icy veins, warming me from head to toe. The heat took away some of the numbness that I was experiencing. I didn't talk, move, or even think, I just sat there, blank.

After what must have been an hour or two, someone knocks on the door and announces themself. The bathrooms are separated into toilets and showers in different rooms, so people can use the restroom while others are showering. When you walk into the shower room, there is a sink with a mirror, big lights to your right, and the shower to the left. The shower walls are glass with a glass door, but it's tinted in a way that I can see out but others can't see in. I didn't respond to the knocker, knowing that I had locked the door and another shower would open for them eventually. That didn't stop them though.

"Katana, I'm coming in. I have a key," The voice I know so well says. Cam opens the door with a pile of clothes in her hand. "I brought you clothes, a bottle of water, and a phone," Cam says as she makes her way to the sink and plops everything down on the countertop. She leans against the wall and slides down, just allowing me company. I open my mouth to speak to her, but the words come out scratchy because I haven't spoken in hours.

"I don't want my phone," is all I say. Camryn immediately replies, "I know babe, it's a new phone. The only people who have the number are me and Charles. The phone has important numbers, but you can choose to contact them, they won't have it otherwise. A fresh start for a fresh place."

My eyes start to swell with tears again as I quietly thank her and let the water and tears combine. "Did you guys keep my old phone? My pictures and everything..." I say, thinking about the memories I have. Camryn breathes deeply before saying, "It's been almost three hours, I think it's time you get out. I brought your big fluffy towel and an outfit. Everyone is worried."

I meet her request with silence before I reach over and turn the water off. She hands me my towel through the door and I dry off slowly before wrapping myself up and allowing myself to step out. My fingers and toes are pruned from the water, and my hair is knotted and crazy since I forgot to condition it. Camryn steps close to me and wraps her arms around me, engulfing me in a hug. When she breaks away, she offers me a slight smile and walks herself out.

I take the towel and wrap it around my hair so that I'm able to get dressed. Once I get the clothes on, I look in the mirror and admire it. The jeans are light denim with big frayed holes in the legs, exposing the scar running down my right leg. It's much lighter now, but still visible when you look for it. The top is a black crop that doubles as a sports bra to avoid awkward extra straps. The way the clothes hug my body shows off the hourglass figure I maintain and the full hips that I carry. I threw on my old white Nike Air Forces because they're comfortable. The last part of the outfit is a red Ferrari jacket with "Leclerc," printed on the back and a big 16 beneath it. It was essentially a jersey to support Charles. I take in a big breath, gather the rest of my things, and leave the bathroom.

People avoided looking at me when I left, having known everything that happened this morning. When I got back into the room, Charles sat up and walked over to me to ask if I was okay. I didn't respond other than setting my things down on my suitcase and placing my butt on the bed. Instead of asking again, the absolute gentleman sits down behind me and removes the towel from my hair, and starts brushing it. He starts at the ends and holds it to make sure he doesn't tug too hard while asking me if it hurts repeatedly. With the way his fingers run through my hair, his body holding mine in place, and the smell of him intoxicating me, things almost felt okay.

My phone awoke me from the trance Charles had me in. I broke free from him despite his warning, and I look to see who was calling. My stomach flipped when I read the name on the screen. My mom was calling for the first time since I moved to Miami. I stare at the screen until the call ends, but she calls a second time. Charles slowly places his hand over mine and says, "You don't have to answer," while looking me in the eyes with concern on his face. I breathe in, and I hit accept.

"Hello?" I ask. Not knowing what is going to meet me on the other line.

"Well look who finally answered. We see that you finally found yourself a rich man to take care of you. You could have invited us on your little trip, have your new boyfriend meet your parents," My moms' aggressive tone rings over the line.

"Oh, hi Mom," I say, not engaging in her manic tactics.

"Hi, Mom? That's all you have to say to me. What a fucking joke," I flinch when she says that, her tone growing harsher. "I obviously failed as a parent considering you don't even care about us enough to call or text. We didn't even know you were in Italy, but the press sure did. They described you perfectly too. We paid for the food you ate and the clothes on your back and you thank us by ignoring us? The least you could do is send some back since you're dating a millionaire now."

She leaves the line open for me to interject, but a tear falls from my eye before the phone gets snatched out of my hand.

"Respectfully, Ma'am. Doing the bare minimum to take care of a child that you created, should not be something they have to repay as an adult. So yes, you did fail as a parent if you see it that way. Secondly, you will not see a cent of our money, as you are nothing but DNA to Katana. You aren't a mother, you're a burden. Do everyone a favor, and don't call us again. Thank you," Charles says as he hangs up the phone and tosses it on the floor before grabbing me and kissing the top of my head.

"You just... You just stood up for me, and we aren't even dating," I managed to get out between small cries. "God, today sucks," I say as I wipe the tears from my face and stand up straighter.

"I know, baby. As for the dating thing, you can deny what we are all you want, but I'm not seeing other people and it would kill me to see you with someone else. Now c'mon love, let's go outside and get some air. The reporters are off track today plus Fred will kill me if I don't do a walkthrough," he says with a light smile. I take his outstretched hand and place the signed hat on my head before we walk out of the trailer.

We spend the next hour or two walking the track and checking the road conditions, but every second of it makes me want to do this forever.