twenty-three

Aein looks at herself, in front of a mirror– in the cold bathroom. Having Dr.Kang with her there, watching the poor girl slightly crying.

Her hair lost way too much, and that made her go almost bald.

She decided to cut it all off. She was hesitant to ask such favour like this, but at the end of the dilemma, she asked Dr.Kang to help her do so. Her hair that she loves, she finally had to say goodbye in a proper way than letting a bit by bit fall off her hair, she thought it long and way better to just cut all of it.

Letting the trimmer machine slide on her head, she watches her hair fall– and slowly, it was left nothing.

It's saddening her but she was happy with her decision, she smiled sadly and went to hug Dr.Kang as it was the best thing ever done to her.

Suddenly there, Jihye, watching from outside the bathroom. She was crying alone, seeing her dear friend making such brave decisions .

"Aein-ya!" She cried as she ran up to hug Aein.

Her tears stream harder as she realised how small her friend in her embraced just now. She hates this feelings, how she will be in denial most of the time.

"You're getting small." Jihye uttered out as it broke her heart.

Aein can't help but to have tears fall slightly down her cheeks. "I'm dying. What do you expect." Aein joked, and Jihye cried even more.

"Yah, it's not funny!!"

Aein laughed. Even in this state, Jihye couldn't believe that she could still tease her like that.

Breaking the hug off, Jihye slowly caresses Aein's head– a bit shaking as she touches it, as if it was so fragile. "How could you look so adorably funny with this buzz cut but yet can aches my heart in pain." She muttered with her little sobs.

"Maybe because I'm dying?"

"YAHHHHH, I said don't say that! it's not funny!!"

"I'm sorry, Ji. But it is what it is,"

"You promise."

"You told me I can't keep it."

"Are you accepting it....? Please tell me no.."

Aein cry, as she wipes off the tears on Jihye face. "What is there left that I can do? to survive now is a blessing already, don't cry, okay?"

Dr. Kang, who watches the two, silently cries. She can't bear to see a patient who accept her dying fate. She knew there's nothing much to help them, but she did not want Aein to go.

She didn't want the same history to repeat.

"Jihye, I think you should go back to work." Dr.Kang said as she brushed away the hair on her shoulder and then put on a white beanie on Aein's head.

"Did I disturb her rest?" Jihye asked, a bit worry.

"No, but you might have work to do, I'm just reminding you that you are a doctor too."

"I do have a work." Jihye slightly mumbled,

"Go do your work." Aein assured her, and Jihye pouted.

"Don't die, okay? I still want to talk to you. I will come back later, so please, don't leave yet." Jihye warned, which made Aein laughed.

"Dummy, just go."

Just as Jihye left, Aein looked at Dr.Kang. Holding the pole of IV drip beside her, "Can I go and take a short walk?" She asked,

"But will you be okay? you should be resting–

"I'll be fine."

"You're weakening, Aein-ya."

"I won't go far, please?" Aein asked, making Dr. Kang with no choice but to let her go.

"Please be back. You have chemo session after this."

The girl nodded and left the room.

Just as she was about to make her way to the hospital garden, she immediately made eye contact with the person who wasn't supposed to see her in that state.

Jake.

She wanted to run away. But the minute their eyes locked, he went to her without any second thought.

"Nam Aein. What is this?"

"J-jake.. what are you doing here?"

"N-no, explain to me first. Why are you in this gown instead of your usual attired. Where is your doctor coat? where is your uniform?"

"What is this pole beside you? why is it attached to you??"

Tears soon pools inside his eyes.

"Nam Aein, what is this."

If only they knew, both of their heart broke seeing each other in such a state.