Prologue.

~WILDFIRE~
prologue

Exhaustion and adrenaline, as different as they might be, runs through the veins of 16 year old Marina Winters

Exhaustion and adrenaline, as different as they might be, runs through the veins of 16 year old Marina Winters. Shuddering quietly as she quickly removes the large knife from the chest, of the male tribute from district 1. After drastically turning her head towards the only other tribute left in the arena, Marina let out a small choked sob, meeting the eyes of her district mate, her older brother.

Rhett Winters, who's 17 years old, closes his hazel eyes and leans his sweaty head against the side of a nearby tree. Both the siblings just need a second to take in each other, before one of them has to the unthinkable and kill the other.

The two siblings raised to protect each other, are pitted against one another.

All so the Capital can get some fucking entertainment.

As only one can become the Victor.

As if on sync, the two siblings raised their weapons pointed at each other. Marinas lip trembled as she met the eyes of which matched her own, the eyes of her big brother.

The capital is ruining everything, ruining family's, killing their children, turning children into murders, ruining the childhoods of the kids, forced to fight to their death.

Rhett who looked as if he was gonna pass out due to extreme exhaustion, realizing what he had to do, he took a simple step forward. Sighing as he looked at his little sister, the girl he was supposed to always protect. Marina in a moment of weakness as the pit in her stomach grew, choked out, "I- I don't want to kill you."

Rhett let out a bitter sounding laugh and smirked, "good!" He said slamming the blunt end of his spear at her so her body slammed harshly on the ground. Marina groaned after getting the wind knocked out of her. "You won't have too!"

Waiting for the fatal blow to come as she slammed her eyes shut, Marina held back a sob. This can't be the end of her right? Taken down by her own brother. Her flesh and blood, The boy that lived in the room next to her, the boy that taught her how to hunt and fish, the one that was supposed to always protect his little sister. He's the one that was gonna put her out of her misery, the one that was gonna take her out of this cruel world ran by a corrupt government.

Marina can't even blame him for it because he's just trying to survive. All the tributes were just trying to live another day but because of the capital, it doesn't happen that way. Because Snow every year puts 24 children into an arena where they fight to the death. He sends these kids away knowing all but one won't make it, like sending an animal to the slaughter. The strongest one coming on top, becoming the winner, or more so the survivor.

But even the 'strongest' tributes don't make it unscathed. Years and years of trauma follow the victors around every day, as if it's their damn shadow- always attached to their sides never leaving.

Opening her eyes after realizing her life hasn't ended, she hasn't felt the pool of death hit her yet, realizing her life hasn't hit its cruel end. She looks up from the ground to see her brother, the boy she looks up too, take his own spear in his big shaking hands slowly and hesitantly pierce it through his own chest.

Letting out a blood-curdling scream, Marina feel to her knees in front of her dying brother. She quickly takes her hand and puts pressure on his wound, the bloods flowing faster than she thought it would, her scarlett stained hands shake as tears roll down her scared face.

"You-you're the w-winner now!" Her brother spoke slowly as his eyes became blank as his body slowly became lifeless in the arms of his little sister.

Marina sobbed as she heard the loud boom of the cannon and the voice, she never thought she would make it to hear, call out. "Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present the winner of the 69th Hunger Games!"

The brunette girl woke up and jolted out of her bed with a yell, while breathing very heavily Marina stood up hands shaking. Resisting the urge to throw up the bile in her stomach, in attempt to calm herself down, Marina grabbed the locket hung around her neck. Rolling the cool metal on the palm of her hand, she sighed opening the locker looking at the face of the only person that helped her through the loss of her brother.

Finnick Odair, her mentor while in the games, he was a man that cared about her very deeply. There were countless nights where Finnick would sit with the girl until she drifted off to sleep, because that girl was too scared to relive her reoccurring nightmares. But now, she has to get through them on her own, because she pushed him away. The last good thing in her life after it changed badly forever the day she walked out of that arena, was gone.

He wasn't there to comfort her anymore and it's her fault.

After the loss of her brother Marina got overwhelmed in her grief, and felt like she was drowning and taking Finnick down underwater with her.

She didn't realize that in reality Finnick was making sure she kept afloat, making sure the fire inside of her never burnt out.

So she could always continue on fighting.

And he would make fight to make sure she knows that.