i. dreaded beginnings

~WILDFIRE~
chapter 1

Marina has a never ending grudge against the capital, they forced her to fight in the 69th hunger games

Marina has a never ending grudge against the capital, they forced her to fight in the 69th hunger games. The games where she watched all the other tributes die, some who she had to rid of herself. But nothing was as bad as watching her big brother die.

And she has to live with the fact that she gets to survive but he didn't.

Waking up everyday and not getting to see his stupid face.

It's bad enough having to relive those moments over and over in her nightmares every night. But seeing her parents continue on without him, seeing the home they grew up in with an empty room he used to sleep in, it all breaks her heart.

Her parents in their grief basically pledged to not talk about what happened to her brother, Rhett in the arena. Looking at their family home the only two reminders of him, was the picture of him and marina sitting in the kitchen when they were young, and the sad dull looks on all the Winters family. The sad looks that seems to permanently reside on the faces of the people in the family.

The broken feeling of her heart will always be there from that moment on. Her grief seems to be never ending, it's a constant reminder of the worlds shittyness.

The memories of the loss of her brothers seem to be stamped into her mind permanent but it's even worse now because the reaping for the 75 games is upcoming. Which means her nightmares become even more frequent. It doesn't help that this year is a Quarter Quell.

The quarter quell games, they happen only every 25 years, and Marina has a gut feeling that something very awful will happen in the arena this year.

Anything the capital is involved in, is God damn awful.

Marina sighed thinking about the new group of kids that are gonna have an abundance of blood staines on their little innocent hands. As they fight to survive in a position they should never have to be in.

Pushing away her negative thoughts Marina looks at the tv as her and her parents sit in her house in victors village. Marina offered for her parents to stay there with her, but they didn't want to leave their children's childhood home.

Marinas almost lost her lunch, as President Cornelius Snow walked on to the podium on the screen. Snow, Marinas hatred burns like a never ending forest fire, for that man.

Concealing her anger, Marina messes with the hem of her jacket, just as Snow starts his speech. "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games." Marina sighed closing her eyes closed for a brief second. The corner of her mouth lifted up in barely a smirk, as she listens to her father list off a bunch of curse words while referring to Snow.

"It was written in the charter of the games that every 25 years, there would be be a Quarter Quell," Marinas leg anxiously bounces against the ground, as she and her parents continue watching the speech attentively. "To keep fresh for each new generation the memory of these who died in the uprising against the capital. Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by games of a special significance. So we celebrate this 3rd Quarter Quell!"