ii. a lovely tribute

~WILDFIRE~
chapter 2

No one reacted at first, it took a few seconds before Marina even realized what she did

No one reacted at first, it took a few seconds before Marina even realized what she did. She volunteered, she volunteered to save Annie and Mags the trauma of going back there.

And weirdly she didn't even regret it.

But still, going into something which you know can lead you to your death, is hard. And nothing can prepare you to do that. But Marina would sacrifice herself before letting things happen to her friends.

Because Marina doesn't want to go through that again, but she couldn't live with herself if she let her friends go back in the arena. At least now she can hopefully help Finnick get out of their alive, because even if they're not together anymore. She can't loose him, she won't let him become one of the tributes that dies in the arena. Even if he's stronger then her, there's a possibility he might not make it alive, but she wouldn't let that happen. She would save him over herself every time.

Bringing herself back to the harsh reality of things, Marina lifts her head up and meets her fathers eyes in the crowd. He has his hand around her mothers shoulders as she cries against his chest, and Adam looks as if he himself has seen a ghost.

Knowing the capital might not give her time to say goodbye, she sent a sad smile to her dad and mouthed, 'I love you'. He nodded solemnly and mouthed, 'I love you too' back as she discreetly wiped a tear from her eye.

From the corner of her eye she saw Finnick turn his head towards her wide eyed. He reached out to grab her shoulder, as she steps forward near him and the announcer. "Marina no! Think this through!" He whispered to her softly, since he knows all the troubles she faced since her games.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our tributes for the 3rd Quarter Quell and the 75th Hunger Games!"

Before anyone could say anything more the peacekeepers came on stage, and roughly dragged Marina and Finnick out the door. Grabbing at her wrist after she tore it from the arms around her, she was as if he was about to say someone Finnick hesitates, as Marina rolls her eyes. She let him talk though, she owed him that much. "Please just say what your gonna say Finn."

Finnick gives her an almost smirk before his eyes softening to seriousness, "why'd you volunteer?"

"I couldn't let Mags or Annie have to go through that again," Marina sadly looked down playing with her fingers and looked up at him hesitantly. "I d-didn't want you to have to go through this on your own!"

Shaking his head with a frown, "I'll be fine! So will you, but I don't want you to do this to yourself again." Finnick said stepping closer hesitantly reaching for her hand. Marina sighed closing her eyes with a pained expression on her beautiful face. "I want you to be safe."

"It's gonna be okay." Marina mumbled voice cracking, she was trying to convince herself that.

That made Finnick sadly smile, "I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you!" he said and hesitantly grabbed her arm and pulled into his arms in a much needed embrace.