Part 18

"Sounds like you two are doing great," Liam's voice sounds through the speaker on Zayn's phone. It's almost midnight and Zayn is on his balcony, wrapped tightly in a blanket. Doniya is asleep and he didn't want to wake her.

Zayn looks down at the phone perched on his lap. "Yeah, but I'm leaving in like two days."

"So what's your plan?" Liam asks.

"Do I need one?"

"I mean, it won't hurt."

Zayn hesitates for a moment, gazing at the stars gathered above him. If only all the answers he needs would be written in the sky. "I guess, but what if he has a different plan? Maybe he doesn't have any plans at all-"

"Zayn-".

"And he just thinks this is some kind of-"

"Zayn! Just listen goddamnit," Liam yells through the phone.

"Calm down, Payno."

Liam huffs. "I am calm, but you're being ridiculous. Before you interrupt, just listen to what I have to say, okay?" There's a long silence in which Zayn isn't sure what's expected of him, until Liam barks at him through the phone. "Okay?!"

"Yes! I'll listen," he promises.

"Good," Liam says and takes a deep breath. "You're scared. Have been ever since Louis. You're scared of reading things the wrong way, like you apparently think is what happened with him. You're scared of misunderstanding and getting hurt all over again, but I'm telling you Zayn, this isn't Louis. It would be unfair to treat Harry like he is."

"But I don't want to ruin what we have," Zayn almost whispers, feeling strangely vulnerable. Liam reads Zayn so easily, like he's as open as the sky and handing him an answer with every star he puts up. He wonders what other things Liam knows about.

"Then that's your plan; say nothing until you absolutely have to. It's risky, but it's a plan."

Zayn goes over it in his head, but decides it's probably the best thing to do. "Then I've got a plan, I think. Thank you, Liam."

"Just doing my job as a best friend," he says, but Zayn knows he's smiling.

"Love you, man."

"Alright, you sap. Love you, too. Night."

Zayn listens to the high-pitched tone after Liam hangs up, thinking about the conversation they just had. Despite some of the bad things that may have happened in his life, he's still pretty damn lucky.

Only two more left.. I'll be updating this Saturday again, with a slightly longer chapter.

Laters xxx <3

Dedication: @louisqueen2706