Ꮯ𝙝αⲣ𝐭𝔢ᴦ F𝞸𝞄ꮁ

I was just about to clock out when Mr. Johnson approached me.
"Hey kid, do you happen to know about.. well I dunno.. anyone who'd wanna look through my computer? I could just be paranoid but I coulda sworn I closed my files before shutting it off." He said, his right hand traveling to scratch his neck.
Fuck.
"No sir, I don't believe I saw anyone before I left. You must've just miss-clicked!" I said, putting on my best smile. I put my hand on his shoulder and reassured him, "I'm sure it's just your eyes, y'know, old people stuff" I said with a smirk.
He shook my hand off with a laugh and we said our good-byes. I had one stop to make before I went home. I needed to pop in at the post-office to pick up the last of my photos, then I could get home and start to work more. I swear I have a new lead.. it's just, well, unsupported.
I made my way through the front door, the bell ringing to announce my presence. I walked past the racks of post-cards and straight to the isle titled "photo pick-up".
I rang the bell a few times before an annoyed teenage worker pulled the bell away.
"Number?" He said, giving me the side-eye. I shifted uncomfortably, I never have been good with eye-contact.
"Oh- right. It's 6785." I said, fumbling around in my pockets for the small ticket. Finally fishing it out, I handed it over.
My photo packet was handed to me and I left the store feeling embarrassed. Sure, it's just a teenager but they're the absolute worst.

———————-———————-———————-———————-———————-———————-———————-———————-———————-——————

                     "Mom! Dad! I'm home." I shouted as I shut the door behind me.
"In the kitchen honey. You almost missed game-night. Hurry and get settled in so we can play!" My mothers voice responded in the distance.
I made my way upstairs and into my room, then shut the door and put all my bags down and dropped the photo packet onto my desk. Upon looking up, I noticed the computer screen was.. on? That's strange. When I looked closer into the deep blue screen, I saw a pair of eyes.
Creeped out by the thought of being watched, I shut my computer down completely and rebooted it.
I'll deal with you later, I thought.
I quickly threw on some shorts and raced downstairs. Game nights were always my favorite as a child, it was the one day our entire family actually got along.
"Hey mom," I said, coming up from behind her and kissing her on the cheek as she set up 'monopoly'.
"How was work?" She glanced at me from over her shoulder as I went to claim my seat next to Aimee, the youngest of the siblings.
"Work as usual. I'm finishing up this burglary case but it's whatever." I shrugged and claimed the cat piece.
"Geez. You talk like an angsty teen getting their first job." She said with a small laugh.
The siblings made their way down followed by my tired father. I bet he'll complain about having to do "so much", but we all know it's his own fault. He can't ever seem to stop working.
My gremlin sister dug her hand into the pieces and the other, Rachel, went in right after and then whined about wanting to be the banker since Aimee took her piece.
"Cut it out, Rachel. Here just take mine - I know it's your second favorite. I'll be banker so it works for everyone."
My mom raised her eyebrows in surprise. I guess it's strange I'm being nice to them for once? She's never around to see any kindness anyways.
I began to deal out the starting amounts of money to each of my family members.
Tonight is going to be fun.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

                 "I won! Haha! Take that mom." Aimee yelled in victory.
My mother rolled her eyes in response as Rachel threw the small amount of money she had left down on the board.
I couldn't help but smile as I watched my competitive family getting along. This doesn't happen very much anymore since mom got a new job. In the midst of my happiness, I felt an eerie feeling wash over me.
The back of my head started to tingle, as if someone was staring through my brain.
I turned my head over my shoulder facing the stairs and looked into the dark abyss.
Nothing.
I don't know why I'm freaking myself out so much.
I turned back to the board and helped my mother gather all of the pieces and count the money to make sure nothing was lost. I took one last glance up the stairs and saw a flash of blue dip into my bedroom.
I couldn't get my eyes off my door until my mother cut in.
"You okay? It looks like you've seen a ghost or something!" She exclaimed, nudging my shoulder with the now folded monopoly board.
I looked at her. What else was I supposed to do? What was I supposed to say? It must've been my imagination.
"Yeah, haha! I guess I'm just tired from working all these cases." I dragged out the all to emphasize the fact I do absolutely nothing but run errands and pick up evidence folders.

I helped my mother put the board into the hallway closet before heading up the stairs and into my room.
Nothing here.
It was just my imagination.