CHAPTER 3: RELATIONS

HE MOVED AT A QUICK PACE AS IF TO PROVE TO NOT ONLY OTHERS BUT       himself that he wasn't hurt but I could still see it pained him. Slowing down slightly as if I were tired, he too slowed his pace to follow. It couldn't be further from the truth though as my long legs were itching to run and stretch not only from the ride but having to act human for years. 

Our passage was further halted every now and then by security doors which he quickly swiped us through. Cameras lined the corridor watching nearly every inch as we moved from the administrative section, past corridors leading to cell blocks, to the canteen. The noise increased as we got closer to the double door entrance of the canteen. As soon as Simon opened the door and it swung open the noise increased dramatically. As I surveyed the area I realized that I was probably the last to arrive as the canteen was almost full to bursting. Simon walked me over to the start of the food line and explained the dull canteen procedure of gaining food and then clearing the trays away. 

"Have your lunch and after you are done I'll be back to continue the tour and meet your block mates." Without waiting for a reply he left the room and eyes zeroing in on the minimal number of jacket potatoes still on hot plates. Reaching for a tray and cutlery I helped myself as no-one was in sight. Piling the filling onto the potato I made good use of the self-service to pile the beans and cheese high. Turning around I faced a canteen filled with inmates nearly all staring at me: fresh meat. Sighing I tried to find a spare seat in the crowd in an area that wasn't going to pummel me. 

I didn't like to recall the number of times new inmates at Ruford hadn't made it in their first couple of days through suicide or refusal to appease. I remember my own vividly; as though initially the bullies had tried to recruit me to become one of their own they quickly changed their minds when I explicitly informed them that I wouldn't hurt another inmate. No matter how much I wanted to blend in, I would never do what they do: harm the weak too afraid to go after those who could present an actual fight. Seeing a table clear I rapidly walked over and sat down before it was taken by someone else. I tried to ignore the stares that came from all around but my stiff frame was a dead giveaway that I was unsuccessful. 

I had nearly finished eating my meal having wolfed it down, no pun intended, when I distinguished several heavy footsteps heading directly towards me. Quickly finishing the plate, I noticed how many of the guards present in the hall had suspiciously turned around or looking anywhere but where I was currently sitting. A hand landed heavily on my shoulder and I turned around not wanting to make any enemies so soon in my stay. The traditional leader and follower's muscled gang greeted me and something about the leader was familiar to me. 

"You didn't offer us your food, money or introduce yourself: you're not off to a good start. Then again even if you had, you'd still be on our red list. If you had been polite you might have been spared some pain for a couple of hours but me and my boys are hungry and it just won't do if you aren't. I believe you know my cousin. "

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to offend you. Who is your cousin?" I asked confused about how possibly I could have known him since the man towering over me when I was seated was definitely human. A human on drugs at that, drugs that were damaging his system irreversibly having abused his body more than one too many times. His heart beat was irregular, cheeks sunken slightly against his face and shaking hands showed that he needed his fix soon as well. 

"Russo. He was so disappointed when he didn't get to give you the right sending off so he asked me to at least give you the welcome you deserve that you'll remember for the rest of your stay so you won't forget him."

I knew what was coming so rolled away slightly when the first punch landed, softening the blow. I tried minimizing the damage as much as possible without responding and was shocked to see the lack of movement of the guards present. As for the inmates, most just stayed in place though some moved closer egging those involved on and some moving away not wanting to get involved. No-one came to offer aid and so when a bell finally rang and a sudden rush of inmates excited the canteen I was left by myself as a heap on the floor. I breathed slowly in and out, only to wince and when I gently pushed against my chest I confirmed that at least one of my ribs were broken. Wiping my bloodied lip with my hand I made my way to my feet before heading towards the doors when Simon marched in, pausing at the sight of me. I didn't know exactly how I looked but I must have looked bad because Simon immediately grasped his radio reporting the incident before grabbing me and pulling me along. Despite my protests he dragged me out of the area saying he was taking me to get looked over. My breathing eased with every step but I still winced occasionally despite my efforts to hold them in.