Random Acts of Violence

Flaky

I stepped into class and sat in my seat, next to Lammy and Sniffles.

Ugh, Sniffles.

We used to be friends when we were ten. But ever since the incident happened we avoided each other at all costs. Every once in a while Sniffles would ask for something or, if you remember, to get out of the 'boy's bathroom.' I, personally, refused to talk to him.

I hated that the teacher made us sit next to each other. She knows we have a bad relationship.

I was so tired that day. I stayed up until 4 or 5 last night just to finish my homework. And of course, I had to wake up at 6 to go to school.

I noticed that the teacher wasn't here yet. Maybe she was late? I wasn't sure. I tapped Lammy on the shoulder.

"Where's Mrs. Reynolds?" I asked. Lammy shrugged.

Our class waited for about fifteen minutes for our teacher to come. During those fifteen minutes, the class was chaos. It was just a free-for-all, everyone was screaming, throwing stuff out of the window, and there were four fights that broke out. During those fifteen minutes.

All of a sudden, an announcement came out of the speaker.

"We are currently under lockdown. All students please remain calm and remember the procedure. Please remain silent at all times. 911 has been called. This is not a drill."

The whole class suddenly went silent. We had no idea what to do. We've been through many drills, but we were in such a state of shock we forgot the entire procedure. Not many school shootings happened in Happy Tree Isle.

My eyes widened after I heard the announcement. I was scared. Scared my life. I started breathing heavily. I covered my mouth, as I realised that my breathing was breaking the silence.

Tears filled my eyes. We might all die. I started shaking, and my chest started hurting as my heart beated faster than ever before. I looked over at Lammy. She looked completely calm, as if she knew exactly what to do.

Lammy got up and closed the blinds. Then she told the whole class to go into the corner farthest from the door. She went and covered the glass in the door and locked it. She was brave. She knew what she was doing. Unlike me. Sometimes I was jealous of her.

Lammy joined me in the corner with Giggles and Petunia (they sat in the back of the classroom, not with us).

"What the..." Giggles looked around. Lammy shushed her.

"Stay quiet, guys. Don't worry." Lammy whispered to everyone. She knew that the class was shocked and the teacher was gone so she took it upon herself to keep the us alive.

I was still shooken. My heart was pounding so hard, I felt that it might come bursting out.

"I hope the shooter comes in. I kinda wanna know what happens~" I heard a student whisper to her friend. It was Hatty Parham. She was known for being creepy.

I shook my head to her and slid back a bit. Anywhere away from the door.

Suddenly, something horrible happened.

The door opened.

There was a man, fully dressed in black.

He was holding a gun.

I closed my eyes shut, trying not to scream.

A gunshot.

I opened one of my eyes. The shooter had disappeared. I turned around.

It was a bloody mess.

Hatty Parham had died. Shot in the heart.