Chapter 12: Do I Want a Human or Robot?

Lila found herself spending the night in Agent Henches's office. The room was clean, but aside from the desk, it was dusty and clearly not used often. Lila settled down in the hard wooden chair and tried to get some rest.

The previous day had been grueling. The silence between her and the Autobots was thick with tension and the pit of her stomach churned with anxiety. Lila didn't want to admit she was starving and thirsty, especially not since that would probably require the return of Henches. The man was human, but scared her more than the bots.

Lila rubbed her forearm, wincing at the bruises he'd left when he'd dragged her across the base. She was certain if Optimus hadn't saved her from him, he would have tried to kill her or experiment on her with strange Pentagon people.

She could already imagine the news headline. Strange Girl from Egypt Found Dead in U.S. People would read the mystery and forget about it once they reached the football section.

Lila shifted again in the uncomfortable wooden chair, wincing when she pressed the arm against the bruises left behind from her fall from Cliffjumper's knee. They didn't bother her too much, but this chair certainly did. Even Megatron's shoulder was more comfortable than it, which was saying something, because the chair was made for sitting and Megatron's shoulders were probably shaped for murder.

Regardless of his wickedness, Lila found herself missing him entirely. She missed their long talks about cybertronian history and that mischievous glint in his eyes when they used the staff to play pranks on Starscream.

But at the same time... she also hated him.

Lila shook her head. Megatron was a complicated guy, no doubt, but in the end, she knew her heart pointed to him and not the Autobots. She couldn't help but forgive his crimes.

Yet, while Lila did miss him, she knew she could never go back. He would try to pit her against the Autobots and Lila was sure she didn't have it in her to strike down any of them. Even if they were overwhelming, it was always with the best intentions.

With these same, cycling and turbulent thoughts on her mind, Lila eventually closed her eyes and relaxed against the chair, falling asleep.

Drab. Cold. Gray.

Snow falling. Spears of ice spiraled up from the ground.

It was dark.

Lila shivered, rubbing her forearms as she trudged through the snow. Behind her was a faint blue light and the groundbridge she'd came through faded into nothing. Her clothes whipped around violently with the force of the wind. Lila tried to ignore it, but her body was trembling so hard she could barely move.

Falling to her knees, Lila's hands pressed into the cold snow. She curled into a ball, quivering and shaking, but it did no good. It was just too cold.

The icicles stabbing through the earth shifted. Lila almost didn't notice, but she managed to sit up and her eyes widened as the clear ice became polluted with darkness. Rising up from the ground, they became metal digits. Slowly, Lila realized that she was rising as well, and the snow slid away as she was lifted by Megatron's palm.

The warlord looked down at her, something foreign in his red eyes. Lila wasn't sure what to make of it, but before she had the chance, three wicked claws wrapped around his chest.

Lila screamed as she was thrown back to the snow. Once again, she watched as a giant beast tore through Megatron. He tried to resist, but agonized screams erupted from his lips.

Scrambling back, Lila began to dig through the snow, her fingers turning blue and rigid as she dug. Finally, she wrapped her hand around her target and pulled the staff free of the ice.