Chapter 14

Valentina's pov

After I realized that I was in danger, immediately I felt my heart race. Why? What did I do? I just moved here, how do I have someone that despises me?

Wait... Heaven despises me. Could it be her?

No way. She may be ferocious, but I know for a fact that she wouldn't do this to me. Or...would she?

Currently, Heaven is dropping me off at my house, with one of her hands on the steering wheel. She offered to drive me home, which is weird. She's been acting super weird lately, and I don't know why.

Heaven had dropped Gina off at her house too, after arguments about her wanting to stay with me. I told her that I was fine though, so she didn't go against it or try to argue with me, which I'm glad because the argument would've never ended.

The car is silent and all you can hear is the engine roaring through the car. I have my hands placed against the rear mirror as I'm looking outside at nature. One thing I love about about nature, is that it's so peaceful and calming that I won't ever get tired of looking at it.

Heaven looks at me with her sparkling emerald eyes for a brief second, then clears her throat and turns her attention to the road. The weird thing about this whole thing is that Heaven is being nice to me, for once! She's never nice—especially to me because she hates me.

I don't even hate her at all, I just dislike how she's rude to everyone that's around her. It's not hard to be nice every once in a while.

"Are you going to get out?" I hear Heaven's voice interrupting my thoughts. I didn't even realize that Heaven was parked outside my house, with the windows rolled down.

"Oh um, yeah. Sorry." I apologize. I look at her and admire her face, and although everyone is basically afraid of her, but I'm not.

I place my hand on the door handle and push it, causing the door to open. I carefully stand up and close the door. The dress I'm still wearing hiking up and I quickly pull it down to avoid embarrassment.

What if she sees my granny panties? That actually wouldn't be so bad. I don't wear them all the time though, only when I'm on my period.

Anyways—I look at her through the window that's rolled down, and I try to get words out, but nothing comes out. It's as if I'm paralyzed and the ecstasy in my body is bursting throughout my body.

"Do you... w-want to come inside?" I finally ask, after a few seconds of silence. That's so freaking embarrassing that I literally want to cry.

Heaven looks at me and raises her eyebrows with.. confusion. I can't really tell with her facial expressions, I'm not used to her even doing any facial expressions.

"You want me to go inside with you?" She asks rhetorically with a hint of sarcasm.

"Who else would I be talking to? You're the only one here." I emphasize with a giggle. Does she think I'm talking to a ghost or something? La llorona?

"Is your mom home?" She asks softly. To be honest, I don't even know if she's home. She might be, but according to the driveway that I'm looking at, it looks like she is home.

"I'm pretty sure. Her car is in the driveway." I point out, and she nods.

I wait for her to give me an answer, instead, she gets out of her car and walks towards me.

I looked at her in shock because I thought she would snark at my comment, yet she didn't. That's weird.

"Are you just going to stand there? Come on." She rolls her eyes and grabs my wrist pulling me away towards the door.

I open it briefly before turning back around to look at Heaven acknowledging my house.

I don't know if her face screams in disgust, or in amazement. Though I cannot tell what she's thinking, I do know, however, that she's not judging at all. I'm surprised, to say the least.

"Hola mami." I greet my mom, kissing her cheek. I put my purse hanging on the chair, while my mom greets a "Hola," back. I move to the side to reveal Heaven, since I was blocking her.

My mom looks at Heaven and smiles, walking over to pull her into a hug. When I see Heaven hug her back my face goes to a puzzlement. Why is she hugging my mom back? She hates hugs!

What about my hug? That's rude.

"Heaven, how are you mija?" My mom asks, pulling away from the hug. Heaven looks at me, then back at my mom.

"I'm good Mrs. Gomez. How about yourself?"

"Ah please don't call me Mrs. Gomez, you can just call me Maribel. It makes me seem old when people call me that." My mom retorts. Heaven nods waiting for my mom to answer her question.

"I've been good. And you? Anything going on recently?" My mom questions curiously, sitting down on the stool in front of the island.

"I'm good too, and I'm just trying to figure a problem out," Heaven says seriously, looking directly at me.

I haven't told my mom yet. Mainly because she's been busy, and I don't want to bother her with my problems. Plus, I know how she'll act when I tell her, like a typical protective Mexican mom.

My mom looks back and forth between Heaven and I. She knows that I'm hiding something from the look on my face, she knows when I'm lying and hiding things from her.

"Que paso Valentina?" My mom asks, and I continue to fidget my fingers in nervousness. (What happened?)

"Um, please don't get mad," I say trying to beguile her into not getting mad or upset. My mom is scared when she's mad.

"So there's been someone threatening me. I don't know what that person wants, but it first started last week with my locker that was dismantled, and earlier my car was trashed with blood all over and the words, "I'm watching you", in display." I finish and my mom clenches her jaw in anger.

Fuck, dios ayúdame.

"No me dijistes?" (You didn't tell me?)

"No podía because this is how you get, plus you were busy," I argue. She sighs and I look over to Heaven who shifts uncomfortable from the encounter. I know she doesn't want to see my mom and I argue.

"Maribel, I just want to say that I'm helping Valentina with helping to catch this person. I'm not an expert, but I do know that everyone in this forsaken city is afraid of me, so I can find whoever did this. It might take a while though." Heaven chimes in trying to save me from my mom, which I'm assuming actually helped me since my mom looks calm now.

"Thank you for trying to help her Heaven, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I feel like this matter should be dealt with by someone a bit more professional. I feel like we should tell the police." My mom expresses, and I nod agreeing with her.

The police didn't do shit back in Mexico, but I feel like in this country, they'll do better.

"My uncle is a private detective, I can call him to arrange this. I want to know who's the idiot behind all of this." Heaven says in an upset tone.

Wow, I didn't know she cared so much about me. What am I saying? Of course, she doesn't.

"That would be gr-"

"You don't have to do that, I feel like that's too much to ask of you." I cut my mom off. My mom looks at me in a," What the fuck are you doing" look, but I ignore it.

I don't like asking for help, it simply isn't my thing. Especially when Heaven has done so much for me already.

"I said I'm going to. I wasn't asking you." Heaven says sternly making my stomach feel an urge of butterflies.

Oh no. Why am I feeling like this? Do I like her?

No. No way!