Chapter 35

Heaven's POV

Something was off. I could feel it in my gut as soon as Valentina told me about the message she received to meet someone at the old warehouse. My mind raced with possibilities, none of them good. Despite her insistence that she had to go alone, I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to be there, that something terrible was about to happen.

I paced back and forth in my room, phone in hand, debating whether I should call my uncle, Detective Johnny Martinez. He had been working on Valentina's case, piecing together the threads of these threats, but we didn't have much to go on. If I told him about this, would it be enough for him to act? Or would it just make everything worse?

I knew Valentina could handle herself, but still, the thought of her alone in that warehouse filled me with dread. Finally, unable to stand it any longer, I dialed my uncle's number.

"Heaven?" he answered, his voice gruff but concerned. "What's going on?"

"It's Valentina," I said quickly, trying to keep the panic out of my voice. "She got a message to meet someone at the old warehouse tonight. They said they have information about who's behind the threats."

"Damn it," Johnny muttered. "I don't like the sound of this. Did she go alone?"

"Yes, but she said she'd keep her phone on. I'm worried, Uncle Johnny. What if it's a trap?"

He was silent for a moment, probably considering the risks. "Alright, I'm heading over there now. Stay put, Heaven. I don't want you anywhere near that place. I'll handle it."

"But—"

"No buts. Stay home. I'll call you as soon as I know something."

I knew better than to argue when he used that tone, so I reluctantly agreed and hung up. But even as I did, I felt restless. Staying put wasn't in my nature, especially not when Valentina was in danger. I needed to know she was okay.

Without thinking it through, I grabbed my jacket and snuck out of the house. I kept to the shadows, my heart pounding as I made my way toward the warehouse. The air was thick with tension, the kind that made every noise seem louder, every shadow darker. I had no idea what I was walking into, but I couldn't sit idly by.

As I got closer, I spotted my dad's car parked a little way down the road. My heart skipped a beat. What was he doing here? I moved quietly, approaching the car, and peeked through the window. My dad was inside, talking on the phone, his expression tense.

"...Yeah, I'm here," I heard him say. "I know it's risky, but I couldn't just sit back. This is my daughter's friend we're talking about."

I couldn't make out the rest, but whatever it was, it didn't sound good. My dad had always been protective of me, but I'd never seen him like this, so involved in something dangerous. Before I could figure out what to do, he ended the call and got out of the car, heading towards the warehouse.

Panic surged through me. I wanted to call out to him, to stop him, but something kept me rooted in place. I watched as he disappeared into the building, my heart in my throat. What was he doing? And why did I feel like everything was about to go horribly wrong?

A few minutes later, I heard the unmistakable sound of gunshots echoing from inside the warehouse. My blood ran cold. Without thinking, I ran towards the entrance, fear and adrenaline driving me forward.

———-

                            Valentina's POV

"Jay?" I called out again, but his expression had changed. The nervousness in his eyes was gone, replaced by something cold and calculating. My heart dropped. This wasn't the Jay I knew.

"Valentina, I'm sorry it had to come to this," he said, his voice void of emotion. "But I'm in too deep. They're forcing my hand."

I took a step back, panic rising. "What are you talking about? Who's forcing you?"

He stepped closer, and I realized with a sickening clarity that this wasn't a warning—this was a trap. Before I could react, Jay grabbed my wrist with a vice-like grip, pulling me toward the exit. I struggled, trying to break free, but he was too strong.

"You're coming with me," he said, dragging me through the warehouse.

"No! Let me go!" I shouted, twisting in his grip, but he only tightened his hold. My mind raced, desperate to find a way out, but every door seemed to be closing.

As he pulled me outside, I caught a glimpse of headlights in the distance, and my heart leaped with hope. Was it Detective Martinez? Heaven? Someone who could help me?

But that hope was short-lived. Jay shoved me into the backseat of a car, slamming the door shut. I tried to scramble for the handle, but it was locked from the outside. I pounded on the window, screaming for help, but the sound was muffled by the thick glass.

In the driver's seat, I saw someone I recognized—the same person I had seen talking to Heaven's dad earlier that day. My blood ran cold as the realization hit me. Heaven's dad was somehow involved in this.

The engine roared to life, and the car sped away from the warehouse. I couldn't see where we were going, and panic clawed at my chest. I didn't know who these people were or what they wanted, but I knew one thing for sure: I was in serious danger.

My thoughts raced to Heaven. Had she realized what was happening? Would she know to get help? And what about Detective Martinez? He had to be close by—he wouldn't let anything happen to me, would he?

But as the car raced through the dark streets, my hope began to wane. Jay had betrayed me, and I was trapped, helpless, in the hands of people I barely knew. Fear gripped me tighter than ever, and all I could do was pray that someone would find me before it was too late.

—-

                            Heaven's POV

The gunshots were still ringing in my ears as I burst into the warehouse. My dad was lying on the ground, blood pooling beneath him. I choked back a scream, rushing to his side.

"Dad!" I cried, my hands shaking as I tried to stop the bleeding. He looked up at me, his eyes full of pain but also something else—regret.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "I didn't want you to be involved in this."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, tears streaming down my face. "What did you do?"

But he didn't answer. His breathing was shallow, and I knew I didn't have much time. I had to get help. I grabbed my phone and called 911, my hands shaking as I relayed the situation.

After hanging up, I noticed something on the ground next to my dad—a small, black device. It was a phone, but not his. I picked it up, and as I scrolled through the messages, my heart sank. This phone had been used to send the threats to Valentina.

Everything started to click into place, and a wave of anger and despair washed over me. My dad had been involved in this mess all along, and now Valentina was in danger because of it. I could only hope that Detective Martinez would arrive soon and that we could still save her.

---

When Johnny arrived, he found me sitting beside my father, the phone clutched in my hand. He didn't say anything, but the look on his face told me he understood what had happened.

"We'll get her back," he said, his voice firm. "I promise."

But as I sat there, holding onto that small piece of evidence, I couldn't shake the feeling that the worst was yet to come.

Sooo, who's behind this? Jay or Heavens dad? 👀 find out next chapter. this book will be coming to an end very soon, but I promise they'll be a happy ending ☺️