Six

Juliette

“Ugh” I dropped my book on the little table unable to get proper concentration. I kept zoning out, my thoughts filled with different scenarios, from the persistent heartburn from my breakup with Matthew, his continuous text messages, and voice mails which I should quit listening to but then more persistent is my mind retaining my encounter with that man. Maybe I was so vexed by his attitude, that might be one reason. I didn't even put much effort to think of him, he lives rent-free up there, his dashing physiques wrapped in the most crisp clothes and suits, or how his dark intense grey orbs rested on mine, as he pushed me back to the wall till our proximity to each other left no space for air to exist.
He was handsome, great looking, I get it, I yelled inwardly at my slutty mind who would rather dwell on his good-looking features and ignore he had a dark arrogant heart. One that wanted superiority over others because he might be wealthy or famous.

Might be?
My mind threw an incredulous look at my choice of words.

Well, yes. Might be… or not. Only the wealthy and famous go to such parties I unintentionally crashed and definitely only the rich order a glass of martini, then get pissed about the fact it spilt on his shirt not the obvious waste of money.

I rolled my eyes, thinking out loud, “He might be rich, young and terrifically handsome but his arrogance makes him a zero.“

“You know you are lying,” a voice within, retorted calmly. I blinked furiously at how right it was.

“Fine! 9.5.“

I imagined the voice in my head, sipping tea, satisfied with my corrected value. “In books, all male fictional characters are dashing, handsome and have the sex appeal of models but their hearts are dark. They can't have it all sweet Julie, not like your Matthew had the looks or even some decency, to begin with.“

“Enough being obsessed about him.“ I groaned, slamming my head multiple times into the pillow.

“I imagine what sex with him will be like. With such strong biceps, phew…he is just like an Adonis, muscles through and through.“

“Juliette!“ I screamed at myself, wondering where that came from.

Of course, the voice living within me, giggled and vanished, it has done its work of casting dirty thoughts in my head. All his sugary handsomeness or how breathtaking he seems to be doesn't brush out the fact I utterly despise his presence whether it was the time his finger grasped around my wrist or the moment, he promised to make me apologize for doing no wrong.

Reliving the piercing pain of Matthew's betrayal was much better than thinking about the rude arrogant man I kept crossing paths with. In Matthew's case, I had a clear image of where my pain is being sourced from, but the other devilishly handsome man I had no idea who he was, or his name and he filled my thoughts for being an utterly obnoxious vile human. After all the devil is said to be the most beautiful being on heaven and earth.

*
I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and frowned at how untamed and wild my hair was starting to look.

My hair dangled freely on my waist, its thickness doubled. If my Aunt was around a frown too would be etched on her face. It made me look young though, well it's not like I am old. I was just 26.
26 is not old, my Aunt would have objected. She is Indian after all.

My fair brown skin seemed paler. That's what I get from sulking all week indoors in Gracie's apartment, I needed sun, I also needed some fresh air, and it felt like a great day to visit the beach. The sky was bright and blue, the palm trees swaying in whatever direction the ocean breeze swayed them to. Sensing my mood for the beach or generally outside piqued up more, I decided to stop being such a bore, and go out for some air and maybe water dipping.