C H A P T E R 19

I was hanging around with Charlie and Banks today, having a conversation about who's going to temporarily replace Adam during the game since he can't play with his arm injured.

We kept silent for a moment as we think then I suddenly let out a gasp as I finally have an idea who was going to replace Banks.

"Guys, how about the guy who was having a beef with Jesse?"

"You mean Russ Tyler?" Charlie said, and I responded with a hum.

Charlie stood up from the couch and loudly clapped his hands. "You're an absolute genius, El!"

"When am I not?" I chuckled, shaking my head slightly.

"I'll be right back!" He exclaimed as he dashed out of the dorm, leaving Banks and me alone.

Damn, it.

I avoided his stare by looking around the room.

I didn't say anything to him after our kiss the night before. Yeah, I know it was stupid of me, but I can't help but feel uneasy in his presence.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" He interrupted the stillness.

"Is this about the kiss?" He asked, but I remained silent.

I heard him sigh before speaking up once again. "Alright let's make a deal."

That drew my attention, and I eventually looked up at him with a grimace on my face.

"What deal?"

"If we win against Iceland, you'll become my official girlfriend."

"What? No, I'm not going to agree with that!" I exclaimed.

"Why? Too coward to be my girlfriend, Cromwell?" He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and said, "I'm not a coward, Banks."

You know I'm having trust issues with this boy.

Why in the world did he suddenly want me to be his girlfriend?

But because I'm bored, I chose to play his game.

"Fine, but if we lose, I'm not going to talk to you forever. Deal?"

He smirked at me as he looked up and down.

"Deal."

So, here's the truth, and there's no denying it now.

I've developed a passing interest in Adam Banks now.

And, of course, I'm not going to tell him that because it will boost his ego.

****

Team U.S.A against Russia. Yeah, we were now back at the rink without Banks but with Russ Tyler this time.

"U.S.A. leading Russia two-to-one here in the third period. Russ Tyler, Team U.S.A.'s newest member from Los Angeles." The announcer remarked as Russ confidently walked into the center of the rink, eager to show off his famous knuckle puck.

He shoots the puck into the net without being impeded by his opponents.

"He winds up. He shoots. He scores!" The announcer exclaimed causing the crowd to cheer loudly, including us.

As Coach Bombay spoke, we all gathered in the locker room.

"I told him no visitors, but he wanted to congratulate you anyway." After he said that the famous Wayne Gretzky walked into the locker room, smiling at us.

"No way! That's Wayne Gretzky!" We all excitedly greeted him, and Charlie spoke loudly.

"Guys! This is The Great One!"

"Wayne's fine," Gretzky replied causing us to laugh.

Then we all crammed together to snap a picture. Banks smiled at the camera as he casually placed his arms over my shoulder.

I pretended to be cool, smiling at the camera and ignoring the damned butterflies.

"Say, hockey."

"Hockey!"

****

Today was our last practice because tomorrow will be the showdown against the team Icelands.

We were all skating on the rink's edge to warm up for practice, and I was skating between Julie and Connie when Julie spoke up.

"Hey, con, am I the only one who has noticed that El and Adam are barely arguing anymore?"

"No, no I noticed too." Connie gave me a side smirk.

"Come on, guys, it's not like we have to argue all day, that's tiring." I sighed.

"But that's what you two were always doing and you're not getting tired. What happened now, Ellie?" Julie smirked.

I mentally thanked Mendoza for his interruption as he asked Coach Bombay.

"Coach, shouldn't we have our hockey gear on?"

"Yeah?" Averman concurred.

"Guys, this is our last team practice, which means--"

"The return of Captain Blood," Averman said, making us giggle.

"No, it means... Let's have some fun," he remarked as he pulled out a beach ball.

We yelled with delight and started skating away to play with the ball.

The ball then bounced away from us, landing on the Iceland coach's foot.

Where the hell did they come from?

Can't we just have our fun without these dimwits ruining it?

Their coach picked the ball up, squishing it tightly without diverting his eyes from us.

I rolled my eyes when I noticed Sanderson glaring at me and Banks.

Their coach tossed the ball aside before skating up to us.

"Playtime is over. We have the ice now." He spoke. "You and your little rink rats must leave."

I scowled. "I think they should say them to themselves in front of the mirror because they're the ones who looked like rink rats," I said quietly to Connie and Banks, who laughed lowly.

"We're right here, Coach." Dean Portman assured, nodding at Bombay.

"The only thing little was your career in the pros." Bombay retorted making us laugh at the obscenities he hurled at the team Iceland.

Miss Mackay, on the other hand, was not having it. "Gordon, no, let's go."

While they were constantly insulting each other, I felt Banks' lips hover at my ear as he whispered.

"Look at Sanderson, he's staring at us like he wants to kill us."

I did what he said, and he was right Sanderson was glaring deadly at us, especially at me.

"Why was he looking at you like that?" Charlie interjected.

I shook my head. "I don't know, maybe it's because I punched him?"

"All right, team, we're outta here," Bombay exclaimed but no one moved. "Let's go, I said! Come on!"

"Can you still move on the ice?" Said Iceland's coach. "Well, please, okay a little with me. Show me the famous triple deke your dear daddy taught you."

He skated challengingly close to Coach Bombay. "Or was it that old geezer over there?" He asked, referring to Hans behind him.

They exchanged a few words before beginning their game.

I sighed, "Here goes nothing."