C H A P T E R 23

We all returned to the arena wearing our new jerseys, which make me quite happy.

We skated in the center of the ice, seeming more assured than before. After a brief warm-up, we went to our bench.

"Quack! Quack! Quack!" We chanted, accompanied by the audience.

"Gooo... Ducks!" We exclaimed one last time before getting ready.

I was looking for someone among the crowds and was overjoyed when I spotted them.

Aunt Tess was waving and beaming at me, but I hadn't expected to see my mother with her.

I could have cried right now, but I didn't since I needed to concentrate on the game first.

I nodded and smiled at them before pushing my helmet down and going to the center of the ice to face off.

The crowds around then suddenly started to sing, "We will, we will quack you!" repeatedly.

Now unfortunately it was Sanderson who will be Iceland's opening face-off. He grinned as he saw me, preparing himself when the referee went in between us, the puck ready in his hand.

"I'm going to make you regret punching me and humiliating me," he spat as I tilted my head and peered at him.

"Save your damn trash talk." I retorted before immediately pushing him hard as soon as the ref dropped the puck.

I passed the puck to my best friend, who was skating near the net, and the alarm went off as she shot the puck into the net, resulting in us celebrating.

The announcer exclaimed, "Connie Moreau with a lovely move in front of the net!"

"You did great!" I said as I hugged her.

However, Iceland scored in the following round. When the game was timed out for a minute, we all clustered on the bench around Charlie, who was drawing something on the little whiteboard.

"Okay, Ducks, take a look here," Bombay said.

"Charlie, what are we even trying to do here? This isn't the NBA." Averman said, and I snorted.

"Don't you want that, Averman? I mean, we're now basketball and hockey players at the same time." I laughed.

"But it's the perfect teamwork to play," Charlie explained.

Charlie's plan was eventually effective when Dwyane flung the puck in the air and as it landed on the ice I yelled, "Now Banks!"

Then he quickly skated to where the puck had landed, but the Iceland player behind him shoved him down, leading him to slip into the net with the puck.

Fortunately, the goalie did not catch the puck. As the alarm went off, we all cheered.

The game continued as I skated around the net and gave the puck to Luis, who skated quicker into the other net. Iceland isn't even close to catching up with him.

After days of practice, he suddenly came to a halt in front of the goaltender, all the ice spraying at the goalie's face.

"I stopped!" He said, surprised at himself as well.

"Put it in, Luis!" yelled Bombay, enabling Luis to break out of his stunned position and easily put the puck into the net.

"He scores!" screamed the announcer, inciting us to applaud.

We, who were on the ice, skated toward Luis and tackled him in a hug.

Coach Bombay requested a timeout when three Iceland players shoved Russ into the boards. We gathered around Coach as he explained the plan to us.