Chapter 2

I stand rooted to the spot, watching my little sister being engulfed by flames. She's screaming my name but I can't move. I'm screaming at her too, telling her to run but she, like me, seems to be stuck to the ground. I see Finnick suddenly appear in my line of vision and I call to him begging him to save her.
"You didn't save me, did you Katniss? I'm dead because of you, my child is fatherless because of you ," he snarls at me.
I drop to my knees and cover my ears trying to block out the accusations of Finnick and Prim's screams. I tell them I'm sorry and I beg them to forgive me but the sounds only get louder. I'm screaming at them now, endless apologies that will never mean anything.

I wake in a pool of sweat and I begin to feel the warm trail of tears running down my face. A sob breaks free from my throat and I don't try to hold it in. Everything inside me hurts. I try to stand up but my legs give way beneath me so I curl into a ball on the floor, clutching my chest trying to hold together what's left of my heart. I cry until I am numb, the only sounds in the house are my occasional sobs. Until I hear the front door open and the clumsy steps of a boy with a prosthetic leg.
"Katniss?" He calls. I can hear him wandering through each room downstairs. He eventually begins to climb the stairs. I think about sitting up and pretending that my world isn't falling apart but I push that thought aside, fearing any sudden movement will send the pain rippling through my chest again.
"Katniss?" He whispers, peering around the bedroom door. His eyes land on the crumpled mess on the floor that is me and rushes over.
"Katniss are you okay? What happened?" He asks, taking in my tear stained face. He gently lifts me off the floor and places me back into bed. He feels my forehead with the palm of his hand and gets up and heads towards the bathroom. He returns with a cool cloth in his hands and delicately dabs it over my face and neck. This seems to calm me down as my shaking subsides.
"What happened Katniss?" He asks again.
When I answer, it is barely above a whisper and it feels wrong on my lips.
"My sister died,".
This is when the tears begin to flow again and I feel the world spinning out of control. Peeta immediately gets into the bed beside me and wraps me in his arms. It feels good to be held by him again. I cry into his chest while he slowly rubs my back in small circles, telling me it will be okay, that everything will be okay. But how can anything be okay again?