Chapter 29

Mother stands on the platform waving goodbye to us both as we board the train. I had second thoughts about leaving her after we'd made the decision to go and considered postponing it. She convinced me that we should go though and that a couple of days by herself in District 12 would help her clear some of the old cobwebs away from her mind. She promised she'd still be here when we got back.

I feel my breathing shallow as the train pulls away and she becomes nothing more than a speck in the distance. This is a heck of a lot like heading towards my certain death in the Capitol again.

"Hey, everything's different now. Were just going to District four, not the Capitol and definitely not the games," Peeta says soothingly, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind.

I nod, letting my chest rise and fall along with Peeta's.

We watch the world wiz by outside the window for a while, taking in the scenery. It still amazes me how one town can be completely covered in snow and just down the train line another can be growing wild with greenery.

When my breathing has slowed to it's regular pace, Peeta leads me down the hall to find our carriage. We leave our luggage in there and then head out in search of food.

We soon come across the dining cart where tables are laden with all sorts of different treats. We stand in awe, unsure of where to start.

"You start from the left and I'll go from the right, then we can meet in the middle," Peeta suggests.

"How about I go from the right instead because there's a lovely looking lamb stew over there," I point out, my belly rumbling in anticipation.

"Okay, what ever you want," Peeta laughs, kissing me on the forehead.

We don't even make it into the middle before our stomachs are completely full. We take to grabbing a mug of hot chocolate and settling down on to the couch. Peeta puts his feet up on the mini table that stands in front of us.

"That is mahogany!" I shout, doing my best Effie Trinket imitation.

Peeta chokes on his mouthful of hot chocolate and ends up snorting most of it down his shirt through his laughter. I take the mug from his clumsy hand and place it on the table, laughing along with him.

"That was the best impression I have ever heard," he manages to get out, before he dissolves into laughter again.

I wipe the remains of the hot chocolate that's resting on his chin with my sleeve. His beaming face is all anyone needs to feel good again. I lean in and kiss him, reveling in the sugary taste of his lips.

"Where do you think Effie is now?" he asks.

"Hmm, I bet she's in District one. Dripping in jewels, with a wig made out of pure diamonds. Probably still telling people about the boy and the girl from the coal mining industry that she pressed and turned into pearls," I state.

We snicker at the memory of Effie's naïve comment.

"Do you think she's happy?" Peeta asks quietly.

"Maybe. She'll be as happy as any of us can be right now, I think."

Peeta sighs loudly.

It's like a black cloud has come over the room. Any recollections we have associating with Effie has taken to us to a dark, hopeless place before, a place where we didn't know if we'd come out of it alive. The same darkness is sweeping around us, bringing it all back. The sleepless nights, the fear so strong that you felt like you could buckle under the weight of it.