Chapter 25

I stand with my bare hands outstretched, catching snowflake after snowflake. For every one that I catch, I make the same wish over and over again. I wish that Prim was here with me. Sometimes I wish for it in my head, other times I enclose my hands around the single flakes and whisper it to them. I ditched my gloves, wanting to feel the sting of the snow melting into my skin. I become mentally absent from what's going on around me and think only of the cold. Of the blustery wind that sends chills down my spine.

Until I notice Peeta, his head turned up towards the sky with his eyes shut. His tongue sticks out like a dog's. He's drinking them, drinking up all the wishes he can get. He needs them more than me. The flakes glisten on his dark eyelashes; his cheeks and nose are the same rosy red colour. If I could, I would paint him in this pose, looking happy and peaceful. I'd put it in a frame and hang it on the wall to remind him how far he's come. To show him that he's no monster. He never was.

"What are you wishing for?" I ask him, rubbing my frozen hands together.

His eyes open, revealing the blue oceans inside.

"Wishing?" he asks, with a curious smile.

I nod my head.

"Every snowflake you catch is a wish, didn't your father ever tell you that?" I question him again.

"No, for us it was for every crumb we caught from a stale slice of bread. I'm starting to think my father only said that though to stop me and my brothers from making a mess," he laughs at the memory. His eyes are in competition with the snow, who can be the brightest? "What did you wish for?"

I consider telling him my wish for Prim but just shrug my shoulders instead, locked in his gaze. He's winning, the snow has no hope.

My simple shrug of the shoulders seems to have given him all the answers he needs though, as a knowing look forms across his face.

"Shall we see if we can make that wish come true then?" he smiles gently at me.

Disappointment floats in the bottom of my stomach as I realise he hasn't completely understood the look in my eye. It's impossible for him to make my wish come true. She's gone. He's gathering the snow into a tall pile and I can see that he's molding it into a human-like shape. Does he think that I wished for a snowman? It's when he finds a half buried twig and begins to put the detail on, that I see who he's really making. It's not a snowman; it's a snow girl.

I stare at the plaits that he's carved into her back and swear that I can see every strand of hair weaved together. I'm even more awestruck by the front of her; he's got her freckles spot on. I come to the conclusion that Peeta has magic in his fingertips.

"How do you do that?" I ask, as he pulls me close to him.

"I don't know, I picture it in my head and then my hands just copy that picture," he replies. "She was what you wished for right?" he asks, making me smile.

"Yeah she was, thank you, Peeta," I say, gazing up at him. The battle is over, the snow is nothing in comparison to his eyes. I can't see or feel anything else around me, only him. And his slightly blue lips.

"Come on, let's go back inside, you're freezing!" I laugh, taking his hand in mine. I kiss snow Prim on the cheek and lead Peeta back to the house.

Once were inside, we help take each other's coats and boots off, which proves difficult when none of us has any feeling left in them. We stumble into the living room and wrap our shaking bodies in a blanket.

"Now who's stupid idea was it to go out in the snow in our pajamas?" Peeta asks, laughing as he rubs my hands with his.

"You had fun out there, Peeta, don't deny it!" I say, getting defensive of my 'stupid' idea. I snuggle closer into Peeta's side, selfishly taking all his body heat. His hands are still like ice.