Chapter 13: Wooden Flagpole

Damion, Alex, Onyx, Sophie, and Andromeda all ran to the dining room to prepare for the competition. Professor Jay Oliver was standing on the stage with Professor Cliffe.

"Damion! How good it is to see you, my dear boy!" Professor Jay Oliver's eyes twinkled as he patted him on the back.

"Thank you, thank you, sir," Damion smiled.

"Line up at the back. I'm handing each student a slip of paper that tells them which obstacle they are assigned. Oh, and between us, the last person in line may receive a slight advantage," Jay Oliver whispered.

Damion nodded and returned to his post. As Jay Oliver came around handing each student their task, Damion started fidgeting with his coat buttons nervously.

"Sophie Elsher, here," Jay Oliver's eyes weren't twinkling any longer.

"Thanks," Sophie muttered quietly as she unfolded the paper.

"What does your paper say?" Damion asked.

"Fight a dragon..." Sophie whispered, a tear dropped down to soak the paper.

"Oh no..." Andromeda paced back and forth.

"I'm sorry, Sophie," Jay Oliver sighed and continued down the line.

Andromeda was handed the paper next. She unfolded the paper carefully, nervous it would be as bad as Sophie's.

"Well?" Onyx asked.

"Okay, not so bad. I have to pass the watercourse," Andromeda shrugged.

Onyx was next. He was handed a black sheet of paper instead of white. Cautiously, he read the task out loud.

"Complete the Rock Wall Challenge. Eliminate someone from the challenge..." Onyx muttered.

"That's amazing!" Andromeda started jumping up and down.

"Not really... Jay Oliver chooses for me, so he might choose one of you guys," Onyx explained sadly.

"He wouldn't do that, right?" Damion whispered in Onyx's ear, but he just shrugged.

"Damion Leon, here is yours," Jay Oliver smiled.

"No task assigned....switch with someone else's task for the first round," Damion smiled. "Do I have to choose now?" Damion asked Jay Oliver.

"Ideally," Jay Oliver said.

"Damion...choose wisely," Sophie sputtered.

"Sophie, let's switch," Damion took a deep breath.

"Damion, I—I couldn't ask you to do that," Sophie said.

"Your not asking, I'm offering," Damion patted Sophie's shoulder.

"Very well," Jay Oliver nodded and switched Sophie and Damion's slip.

"What is my task then?" Sophie asked.

"Nothing, you get to use that pass for the next round," Jay Oliver said curtly.

As Jay Oliver returned to his post, the four of them started chatting quietly. Alex quietly walked over, hoping not to be noticed by Jay Oliver, Professor Cliffe, or any of the other students.

"Hey, guys!" Alex whispered.

"Hi, Alex," Damion was so distracted thinking about the dragon fight.

"I don't know what tasks you received, but I can assure you that you will nail all of them!" Alex said assuredly .

"Thanks, Alex," Damion said.

"Always," Alex said.

"But don't be too humble," Damion laughed.