Summary

Seven years ago, a rogue Fire Nation general raided the Southern Water Tribe and brutally slaughtered hundreds of innocent civilians. Since then, tensions have reached new heights, and repeated transgressions from several parties have pushed the world to the brink of war. In an effort to mend strained international relations and demonstrate the Fire Nation's power, Fire Lord Ozai arranges the construction of the the most extravagant vessel in the world: the Phoenix. The ship will make its debut on a voyage from the Fire Nation to each of the poles, offering a rare vacation opportunity for citizens of all nations.

Zuko is not enthusiastic about the trip. He has just finished his term of banishment and returned home, but his experiences have left him broken and confused. Internal turmoil threatens to tear him apart, and his father, sister, and betrothed offer no comfort—the latter least of all. Thus, he is convinced that the trip will be a nightmare, and to an extent, he is right. What he doesn't expect is to find solace in a Water Tribe girl and her group of vagabonds. She is strong, lively, beautiful, and kind—and Zuko knows he will never deserve her.

Katara reluctantly agrees when her friends decide to board the Phoenix. To them, it's a chance to relax. To Katara, it's a submission to the Fire Nation. Despite this, she finds herself instantly captivated by the ship's beauty and resolves to put her bitterness aside and have fun. Things become more complicated when Katara encounters a sweet, shy, but troubled Fire Nation boy who she cannot bring herself to hate. He fits right in with her friends and would make a perfect addition to their group. The only caveat: he's the Fire Lord's son.