Chapter Seven

It took her a couple of hours to reach the river.

Specifically, the most dangerous spot.

She peered over the edge. Her body jumped when water from the waterfall sprayed in her direction, the wind blowing her face.

An unexpected laugh burst out from her. This was all so ridiculous. Her life was a fucking joke from the moment she was born.

Her mom was fucked up enough to inbreed with her brother, and then married her off to the exact same type of abuser her father was.

Although, she guessed she was happy about not being forced to marry her little brother. Thank the Goddess he was so young.

But at the end of it all, it was still a fucked life.

She bent down next to the spraying water and dipped her hand inside, watching with a little smile as the dried droplets of blood washed away.

She brought water to her mouth. The coldness startled her skin but felt refreshing as she washed it down her throat.

Faintly, she could still taste the metallic.

She groaned, wishing so badly for a washcloth to wash away the dirt, guilt and disgust.

To wash away her life.

Water dribbled down her shirt as she sat up. Nerves gripped her, both from looking at her future-and from the smell of two men not far behind her.

They had been trailing her the entire time, keeping her quick on her toes and her gaze paranoid.

One of them was her husband.
Ex-husband.

She could smell his rotting scent; taunting her. It's what forced her to climb higher and higher, until she reached the tippy top of the waterfall.

It's what forced her to wait, to let them get closer. Butterflies rolled around her stomach as they drew nearer and nearer.

A twig cracked behind her.
She turned around to face him. There Bessell stood, twenty feet away from her at the lining of the forest.

Her nerves pinched.

She was beginning to get nauseous-like she always did. As expected, his face was tomato red. He was breathing heavy. She knew the exact moment his eyes had flicked toward the dried blood on her shirt, and he knew.

"You." He said.

The moment his foot left the ground was the exact moment she let hers leave, too. The sensation of falling backwards felt unnatural, but she forced it to happen.
It had to happen.

The last thing she saw was the angered look on his face before it dipped out of view and her body hit the water with a sickening slap.