Chapter Nineteen

Maybe she shouldn't have said yes to staying in a room with Raiden.

Two days passed since the night they talked. After the awkward silence of the kitchen, Raiden led her back to the guest room she was temporarily sleeping in. She fell back asleep for the rest of the night, half pondering what her future was going to be and how quickly everything was progressing.

Words flitted through her mind about how she was going to be getting married to a stranger, how he already felt things for her, and above all else-what this meant about Bessell.

She was scared of him. She was scared that she was going to wake up and he would be standing over her. She was scared that it was all going to be a dream-that it was all going to be one long nightmare. She was scared that he was going to come find her, regardless.

She was scared that Raiden would give her up. She was terrified about the idea of being lied to-that maybe it was all one giant plan for him to get her comfortable right before she was forced back into the clutches of Bessell.

She tossed and turned for a long time, sleep evading her. However, it eventually found her.

And like a true coward, she stayed in that guest room for the entirety of the following day. Uncertainty forced her to stay under those covers. She wanted to pretend like her and Raiden never talked about her staying. She wanted to pretend that she never agreed to sharing a room with him.

That made her incredibly nervous.

But she should've known he wasn't going to let her hide forever.

Around the afternoon there was a gentle knock on her door. She stared at the white paint on it, her heart thumping really fast.

She must've taken too long to answer because there was another knock, and then immediately after the door slowly, gently, creaked open.

Or tried to.

The lock in the knob stopped it from opening. Olivia jumped up from the bed.

"Sorry, sorry!" She called out, fumbling over the sheets to unlock the door.

She opened it.

There they stood, face to face once again. Her and Raiden.

Raiden the stranger.

He looked down at her from his looming height. One of his eyebrows was creased slightly. "You okay?" He asked.

She nodded, planting a fake smile on her face. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just tired."

He nodded. "I figured you were going to be. A lot has happened recently. Did you want some food?"

On cue her stomach growled. Her hand immediately flew to it, clutching her shirt. She tried smiling sheepishly but it felt more like a grimace.

A corner of Raiden's mouth lifted the slightest bit. "Come on, I'll make you some food. Then we can talk about moving you in."

Ah yes, the very thing she dreaded.

At least she was getting food out of it.