Ripples

Amicia fell to her knees, a look of agony on her face as she stared at her brother within the Macula core. "I can't!"

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

Lucas watched as if trapped in his own mind as he lifted the crossbow and pointed it at Hugo. The poor boy looked tortured within the Macula, pinned up like a man crucified. Lucas had never fired the weapon before, but he knew it needed to be done. Oh but he wished he didn't have to...

As the weapon fired, hitting Hugo square in the chest, he heard the scream that would forever haunt his memory.

"Noooooooooo!!!"

Startling awake, he felt tears on the edges of his eyes. Wiping them stubbornly away, he looked at the grimy window. The morning was unbearably bright for the way Lucas was feeling. It was time. He knew it. However, he wished his heart would follow suit and just let her go.

Getting up from his little bed in a small room of the de Rune cabin, he readied himself much more slowly than normal. Everything felt mechanical, and he wondered if he was doing the right thing with every move he made. Would she be alright?

Glancing down, he saw the crossbow on the chest... He hadn't been able to bring himself get rid of it... Despite what he had done with it. There had been no need to worry about hiding it since she never approached him or this room. Should he really take it with him? Perhaps it was better to take it than leaving it here with Amicia. With that memory. Covering it in his sack, he decided it best for the weapon to leave. 

Hearing sounds behind the door, he knew Amicia was already awake. Damn, he had hoped to only see her for a moment before he left... he didn't wish to make her suffer a moment more in his presence.

Swinging his pack over his shoulder, he took a deep breath. As he opened the door, he looked back one more time at the little room that had been his home for the last few months now. It wasn't much, but it had been safe. The little bed with flimsy hay filled pallet, the side table, the chair, the chest, the books that had been on said table now resting in his pack... he was going to miss it even with such memories hanging around like bedeviled ghosts.

"Morning." Amicia murmured as he came into the kitchen, but her back was turned.

"Good morning, Amicia. How did you sleep? Did the sleeping drought help?" He asked hopefully.

She turned, and those tortured blue-grey eyes greeted him now like an old friend. It felt like daggers to his heart every time their eyes met. It was as if she was seeing him kill her brother all over again every time she looked at him. "I think a little. Thank you."

"That's a relief." He replied as she quickly turned her eyes back to her work making some eggs he had picked up from the village the other day.

"Are those... bags?"

Lucas hated how that question seemed almost hopeful. Like she was more than ready for him to leave. Guess he had his answer then... clearing his throat, he nodded even though she couldn't see his face with her back still to him. "Ah, yes. It's time for me to go study more alchemy..."

"You would make an excellent magister."

Even in her coldness, there was still the sweet memory of their friendship from time past. You're off to an excellent start, Magister. She had said in the bowels of her mother's laboratory. It felt like another lifetime. Ironic given they were still young. Didn't feel like they were children any longer though. If only they could back... "Thank you, Amicia. I hope to live up to your expectations."

"Please... don't do it for me." She replied, finally turning back to face him. "Do it because you want to do it."

Nodding, he smiled a little. But no smile was returned. But it wasn't disappointment either. It was just acceptance. At least he felt he wouldn't need to worry about her doing something incredibly stupid anymore... there had been a few moments in the last months that had truly scared him. A few too close calls where he worried the grief would take her under. But she was a survivor. Here she was cooking breakfast after all.