Grief

"The little girl is gone?" Magister de Nantes questioned; his face full of concern.

Amicia nodded, swallowing hard. " I went to bring her food in the barn... And she was gone. And no one saw her leave..."

"She probably ran to town." Lucas muttered, remembering the sheer disbelief in the girl's eyes as she heard the news of her family's death.

"Can we go, Lucas? Please?" Amicia pleaded, her eyes imploring.

He gripped her arm and nodded, pulling her towards the tent flap. "Of course, let's go."

Celine ran out into the yard as she heard the commotion of the carriage being brought out. Her eyes widened at the crazed look on Amicia's face. "What's going on??"

"Little Olive has disappeared. We think she may have gone back to town..." Lucas answered, his eyes shifting to Amicia, who looked like she was about to start for town on her own, crutches and all.

"Olive? Oh Amicia, you must be scared out of your mind! Are we going to town then?"

"I'll take Amicia, but I really need you to stay behind. Is that alright?" Lucas implored. 

A flash of hurt crossed Celine's eyes, but she nodded. "Yes, of course."

He gripped Celine's soft hands, warm and reassuring. "Please look after our remaining patients. They must live. Please, Celine."

Celine couldn't get a word out before the carriage rode into the yard, one of the guards having alerted the coachman. Amicia practically jumped into the carriage as it got close enough to grab, hardly paying attention to her crutches and sword always at her back. Lucas let go of Celine's hand and ran for the carriage himself.

"We'll be back shortly!" he called as he got in and the carriage door closed behind him, starting off immediately.

He looked over to Amicia, who was practically glued to the carriage window, her eyes trying to look through the growing darkness of the evening, the sun almost fully set. "She's going to be lost... I just know it."

Lucas scooted directly across from her and grabbed one of her calloused hands, leaning forward intently. "She will be alright. We will make sure of it."

Her tortured eyes looked back to him, and she seemed to grip his hand even tighter. "How can you promise that, Lucas?"

Touching her soft face gently with his free hand, he saw something change in her eyes and quickly drew it away. For someone so fierce, she seemed so delicate sometimes. "I just know it, Amicia. We will find her, and she will be safe."

Amicia nodded ever so slightly, and she turned back to the window, her eyes searching for the little girl out in the dark, though she still seemed to cling to his hand like a lifeline. Her other hand was plastered against the windowpane, and he felt his heart ache to hold her closer. To let her know everything would be alright...

The trip to town was fast but felt longer than ever. Every minute seemed to stretch into eternity, and Lucas sensed the growing anxiety emanating off Amicia like a cloud of extinguis...

Reaching the town gates, the guards stood at attention, the portcullis closed to the outside world. What on earth was happening?

Of course, who would open the door but Corbin himself. "Magister Jacques? Mademoiselle Jeanne? What are you doing here at such a late hour?"

"Olive - the girl - she's missing! Help us find her, Chevalier, I beg of you." Amicia spoke first, drawing near to the door, her voice desperate.

"The little girl from the farm? What happened? You know, never mind... I'll have them open the gate...."