An Escape

Amicia knew she would need to find a way to leave, and soon, especially as the days were starting to tick by. Sylvie was going to give her hell if she didn't disappear within the next few days. However, she was finding this specific mission to be particularly difficult.

The last few days had been full of helping patients and seeing to the garden with Lucas, Celine, and Lyam. Amicia found the work helped take her mind off her very real problems. Even as Sylvie stared her down whenever she was in the house, Amicia was able to keep her mind occupied with the many tasks that needed doing. She hadn't even had a single nightmare as she slept, as if Lucas had put a protective spell around the house. Though she still had a hard time meeting the eyes of the owner of said house. 

It had been a long time since she had felt like she was a part of something truly important. Of course, she considered her own mission important, but it had been frustratingly fruitless over the last few years. Yet here she was helping keep human beings from the brink of death. Every little act could be the difference between life and death for these poor people. It was exhilarating and torturous at the same time. Celine had been very helpful, and Amicia was thankful that she and the young apprentice had welcomed her with open arms despite her questionable presence. And they never questioned her too closely, though she noticed the apprentice Lyam was often at her side, fascinated in whatever she was doing. 

She found herself time and time again at Olive's bedside, though the small girl hadn't made much progress. With her own impending departure looming, Amicia would just have to trust that Lucas would indeed keep his promise and keep the girl alive. Whenever the small girl opened her eyes, Amicia was there to talk. She had discovered Olive had an older sister, brother, and parents still sick in town. But her family had only allowed for her to come, and Amicia didn't want to know why she was alone.

Whenever Olive was able to stay awake longer than a few minutes, Amicia would tell her the adventures of King Hugo. Olive hung on every word she said, and Amicia told her a fantastical story about dragons, fairies, and knights in shining armor. The King, who was protected by his sister Amicia the Amazon, sought to bring peace to the land, but he was threatened by darker powers beyond his territory. 

"And the bad man was the Perfidious Sorcerer?" Olive managed to squeak out, eyes wide as Amicia told of a frightening encounter with a sorcerer who wanted to turn them into a beetle!

Amicia glanced up at Lucas, who was several yards away with another patient, and then looked back down at the girl. "Yes, and he chased them for many miles, flying above them on magic clouds as they tried to get away on horseback!"

Olive sucked in a deep breath, hanging on Amicia's every word. "How did they get away??"

"They didn't! He captured them and threw him in his stinky dungeon!" Amicia replied, holding her hands up in a threatening manner, as if to catch and throw the girl into said dungeon. 

"What did they do??" Olive shrieked, holding up her arms as if to protect herself, though a smile still lit her face. 

"The King had a magic power where he could control rats!"

"Rats??"

"Yes, and he knew he could steal the keys from the guards!"

"Did they get out?"

"Almost, but the Perfidious Sorcerer found them before they could leave his tower!"

Olive looked truly worried, and Amicia hoped this wasn't too dark for the poor girl. 

"And what did this Perfidious Sorcerer do to them?" came a voice from behind her.

Twirling on her stool, Amicia's face lifted to Lucas, a slight smile on his face. He must have moved behind her while she was telling the last part of the story. She must have been so enthralled in her own telling of the story; she hadn't even noticed his presence!