Truth

Amicia's laugh made Lucas' heart soar as he swung her around, arms extended as if she were a bird, firelight reflecting off her hair and skin. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes... Coming full circle it seemed.

As the music came to a stop, Amicia righted herself using his shoulders, their faces now mere inches from each other's. Her blue-gray eyes shown in the firelight as he looked down at her, reminding him again of the phoenix. Beauty from ashes. "You know, tonight... You really are...."

Her eyes looked so big, he found himself floundering. He saw her throat working, and she managed, "I really am what?"

"Beautiful." he breathed.

Standing there, frozen in time, he held her waist securely, not wanting this moment to end. He would forever be at her side, if she let him...

God, I love her. I never stopped...

Her eyes changed then. A look he wasn't sure was real or not...

*********************************

"Amicia?" Lucas questioned, his voice husky.

She reached up, touching his face, soft shaven cheeks, even with a bit of a shadow starting to appear. There were some small scars from their adversities they had faced as children, clear evidence of his care for them. Fully a man now... Every memory came flooding through her mind. Everything he had ever done. Everything he WAS.

His eyes darkened, and he covered her hand on his cheek with his own, as if fighting the urge to pull it even closer

His eyes darkened, and he covered her hand on his cheek with his own, as if fighting the urge to pull it even closer. Like he could meld their hands together. Lord, I love him. I love him so, so much.

What the hell was she doing? What was she thinking?? He was about to be married! To someone who she considered a friend!!

"I - uh - don't feel well... Excuse me..."

Yanking her hand off his face, she pushed her way out of his arms. His eyes looked alarmed, and it looked like he was about to grab her hand. Moving just out of reach, she turned quickly. She couldn't stay here! She must leave! Right now!

"Wait- Amicia!"

But she kept walking, not able to look back. She would not. She could not. She was determined to not harm the dearest man in her life, even if it meant not telling him the truth. She would not ruin his life! Not again.

"Mademoiselle Jeanne, are you alright?" a voice came from behind her as she dodged people getting ready for the next dance.

The knight held out a hand to her, his face concerned as he observed her. She took his hand out of necessity, only glancing back to see Lucas who had been stopped, speaking to Celine... the woman gripping his hand tightly. Lucas looked to her; his eyes full of questions she could not answer. She looked away resolutely as Celine pulled his attention back to her.