Silent Hopes Buried Deep

"You what?" Lyam cried, and Amicia could hear the horrified expression on his face even though she couldn't see it.

"It's a long story, and it's rather complicated."

"Complicated is one word for it..." muttered Guy, he too sounding shocked.

Lucas sighed, as if the very memory still wounded him to the core. "Her brother asked me to do it... if she could not."

"What do you mean he asked you?" Lyam questioned, still sounding skeptical.

"And what do you mean if she couldn't do it?" Guy added.

"That would require a longer explanation. And I will give it to you on one condition."

"What is it?" Lyam asked.

"You listen and consider the whole story. It will sound too fantastical for words. But if you wish, you may ask Am- Mademoiselle Jeanne for its validity later."

Amicia assumed the boys nodded, for she didn't hear anything.

"Oh, and one more thing... don't ever reveal what I have admitted here about... how I felt about her. What's done is done."

The impact of the past tense hit hard, and she gripped her tunic harder. Why did this upset her so??

Again, the boys must have nodded, for she didn't hear anything. The little group then went down the stairs into the basement, the door closing behind them.

Olive inched closer to her, clasping her hands. "I... I didn't know..."

Amicia wiped some tears and just smiled waveringly. "It's alright, I can explain."

"But... how can you trust him? I see the way you look at him..."

Amicia looked up, startled. "The way... No, never mind. That's all in the past. I can explain, but first I need to get out of this barn..."

Olive nodded, and they made their way out of the barn as quietly as possible, walking towards the forest. Amicia started to tell the story then... The true story of what happened with her and her brother, and Olive listened, barely making a sound. By the end of the story, tears were streaming down the little girl's face, her hand squeezing Amicia's tightly.

"I... I see. The Magister had no choice... Like he said."

"Only because I didn't have the courage to do it myself, Olive. And I resented him... No. I hated him... for many years after that.... Even though I knew the truth in my heart. I loved my little brother more than life itself... Yet, Hugo wanted me to live. That brief time of happiness was all he had, but he deserved so much more. Yet, he died to give it to me instead."

They had finally come to a stop within the forest, and Olive embraced her then, shaking with silent tears. "I'm so sorry, Amicia... I had no idea..."

Amicia dropped the crutches, and they both slowly melted to the ground, crying in grief together. They were both the only living members of their families, left alone in this world. But they weren't alone, not really... They had people who cared for them.

I did love her...

The words came back, hitting her like a wall of rats... He had risked his own life... Not just because he cared for them like family... He had truly loved them all, even embracing Hugo like a little brother. But he had loved her. Not like a brother. But like the blooming young man he had been. And she had practically spat in his face after he had killed Hugo... The shame and grief threatened to pull her down again, but she refused. She must stay strong! For Olive's sake! For the sake of the future carrier! For the best friend that had loved her...