Chapter 19.

You were standing in a hotel lobby, clutching your backpack straps and waiting for Armin to finish talking to the man behind the counter. This was easily the nicest place you had ever set foot in. You could see your reflection on the polished marble floor. There were large paintings in ornate frames all along the walls of the cavernous space. A chandelier glistened overhead and tall pillars connected the floor to the ceiling. You couldn't have felt more out of place. Everyone else, those checking in, those making use of the lavish furniture, and even just those walking past, emitted a sense of sophistication and refinement you could never hope to achieve.

You sincerely hoped that you were imagining it, but the other people around didn't seem to want you there. You caught a few of them staring at you and whispering, and two people had actually sneered as they walked past.

The moment Armin turned around, you glued yourself to his side. He could obviously sense your trepidation and he put his arm protectively around your shoulders as you walked. You took the elevator to the top floor and walked down a long hallway until you finally reached your room. Once inside and there was a door between you and the rest of the world, you finally felt like you could breathe.

The effect didn't last long because once you saw the suite your breath hitched again. The room was just as elegant and luxurious, if not more so, than the lobby. The walls were adorned with richly textured wallpaper, and the floors were covered in plush carpets.

The centerpiece of the room was a large, inviting bed, dressed in silky sheets and soft pillows that practically begged you to sink into their embrace after your long day of traveling. The curtains were made of heavy, fabric that blocked out any trace of light.

In one corner of the room, there was a cozy seating area with plush armchairs and a coffee table, perfect for enjoying a cup of tea or reading a book. There was also a well-stocked bar. You stepped further into the room and peeked into the bathroom as well. It was equally as luxurious, with marble countertops, a spacious shower, and a deep soaking tub. Soft towels and high-end toiletries provided the finishing touch.

You turned back to Armin, eyes wide.

"I know." he said sheepishly, "It's a bit much."

You raised your eyebrows. "Well, I'm not complaining." You said, dropping your backpack and digging for your nightgown. You were beyond ready to get cleaned up and sink into that bed. "Do you mind if I shower first?"

Armin shook his head. "Of course not." He said smiling.

The way he eased your nerves so effortlessly was astounding. After you both showered and changed you got into bed. The silk sheets and soft mattress felt like paradise as you pulled the covers over the two of you.

"I might be gone before you get up tomorrow," Armin said quietly, as he wrapped an arm around you, pulling you to his side.

You snuggled up next to him and nodded.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked in a gentile voice.

"I guess so." You hesitated. "As long as I get to stay with you then I'll be happy."

There was just enough moonlight streaming in from the gap in the curtains that you could see the smile spread on his face. "We'll stay together. I promise."

You nuzzled your nose into his neck happily. "How are you feeling?" you asked.

His smile faltered. "The same as you I suppose. I just need to convince them that you won't betray us and that you can be of use to the Scouts. Should be easy enough." His arm tightened around you. "Eren and the others should be getting to their rooms right about now too. I'm going to have him stay with you while I'm away."

You nodded. "Okay." You said softly.

"Sorry." He sighed. "I know it's not ideal, but I don't want to leave you alone while tensions are this high and I know Eren is more than capable of protecting you if anything were to happen." He dipped his head to yours and placed a kiss on your temple. "Just let me know if he gets on your nerves and I'll fire him."

You giggled and gave him a small shove. "Don't do that." You said. "I like Eren."

"Not too much I hope." His eyes narrowed as he looked down at you.

You giggled again. "Not half as much as you, if that's what you're asking."

"That's my girl." He said sweetly, lifting your chin so that he could capture your lips with his own. "I'm not sure how long I'll be gone tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've been here and there will be a lot of people I'll need to see. I'm hoping I'll be back before lunch but I could wind up being stuck in meetings all day."

You nodded. "I hope things go well for you tomorrow. I hope you won't be in trouble because of me."

Armin squeezed his arms around you again. "If I get in trouble it won't be because of you, Y/N. It's my own fault we're both here."

You slid your hand across his stomach, feeling hard muscles along the path. You positioned yourself so that your arm was draped across him. "I'm with you." You said. "That's all I care about."

"You're too good to me, Y/N. I don't deserve you." His tone wasn't laced with guilt as it usually was when he talked like this. It was full of gratitude.

You leaned forward slightly to kiss his jaw. "I still don't know how you can say that. After everything you've done for me. I'm the one who doesn't deserve you, Armin."

He shook his head, a small smile still on his lips. "I don't think you realize all you've done for me."

Your eyebrows knitted together. He was right. You weren't sure what you had ever done to be deserving of his affection but you weren't complaining. You might have asked him to elaborate but you found that your eyelids were getting heavy.