Chapter 2

The Gang

"Hey, guys!" Biana exclaimed.

"Hey!" Sophie replied.

The group hadn't seen each other in a while, because everybody was so busy over the holidays. So there were a whole lot of greetings.

"Fitz! Hey!' Biana said.

"Hi Dex," Sophie greeted, hugging him.

"Sup, Bangs Boy?" Keefe said.

Tam rolled his eyes.

"20 years. You have been calling me Bangs Boy for 20 years. Are you ever going to stop?" Tam asked.

"I wouldn't count on it," Keefe replied.

Cayden ran over to Jasper, who was his best friend.

"Hey, Jasper! I heard you manifested," he said.

"Cayden! Hi!" Jasper said, hugging him. "Oh, yeah, I manifested."

Cayden looked at him strangely. "What's wrong?"

Jasper sighed, "I'm having a really hard time controlling my ability. Like, really hard."

"Oh, OK. Don't worry. When my sister manifested, she froze our whole house. Multiple times. You'll get it under control soon enough." Cayden reassured him.

Jasper smiled. "Thanks."

Alsie walked over to Marcelo. She was quite close with him, as they were the same age and technically cousins, and they had always gotten along quite well.

"Hello, Marcelo." she said.

Marcelo turned around. "Oh, hey Alsie!" he exclaimed. "How have you been?"

Alsie opened her mouth to respond, but she was cut off by Master Fitz, the principal of Foxfire.

"Welcome," he began, "to the first day of a new year at Foxfire!"

Everybody cheered.

"Now, students, your schedules are in your locker. Let's start the first year back at Foxfire!"

Delia

When the day was over, Delia went and met her sister at the leapmaster.

"Hey! How was your Shade lesson?" she asked.

Arya smiled. "Yeah, awesome. Lady Zillah is very impressed by my control. How was vanishing?"

"Great! My mentor says I can hold it for a very long time, compared to other vanishers my age,"

"That's awesome!"

Then they lapsed into silence.

Just as they got to the front of the line, the leapmaster suddenly caught on fire.

Everyone scrambled back, screaming.

"What the—" Delia started, but was cut off by an evil laugh that began echoing around the school.

Then a raspy voice began to speak.

"Are you enjoying my presentation?" they cackled, "I certainly am."

Fitz quickly hailed Sophie on the imparter.

"Sophie, get over here! Now! Tell our friends."

Within minutes, Sophie and her friends arrived.

"Wonderful, the moonlark and her little friends come to join the show." the person said.

"Who are you?" Tam yelled.