Movie ends

Hiccup, asleep, his head on a pillow. Healing scars on his face show that maybe a week or two have passed. Toothless hovers over him, WHINING and GRUMBLING impatiently. Hiccup stirs. Opens his eyes.

"How long was I in a coma for?" Hiccup asked

"About a month." Gobber said

"I have a question how did you all get back to Berk since your boats got destroyed?" Mala asked

"Astrid flew Hiccup to the healers, while the rest of us had to fly on dragons back to Berk." Spitelout said

"That was horrible 25 minutes of flying since I had to keep hearing Hiccup moan in pain and I had tears in my eyes seeing the state Hiccup was in." Astrid said as she removed her self from Hiccup's embrace and cleaned her face up

Hiccup (groggy): Oh, hey Toothless.

"I should have stayed with you since I left 5 minutes before you woke up." Astrid said

Toothless excitedly nuzzles and nudges Hiccup.

Hiccup: Okay, okay! I'm happy to see you too, bud. Now just--

Toothless steps on his groin, causing Hiccup to sit bolt upright with a yelp.

Off-screen every boy winced at where Hiccup got hit

"I feel your pain Hiccup." Snotlout said

He looks around, confounded. He's in his bed, moved beside the fire pit on the main floor of his house.

Hiccup: I'm in my house. (re: Toothless, leaning over him, excited) You're in my house.

Toothless tears around the room, knocking things over, far too big for the space.

"How did no one hear crashing coming from the inside of the Chiefs house?" Gary asked

Hiccup: Uh...does my dad know you're in here?!

"Actually Hiccup he was the one who put him in there with you since he wouldn't leave your side." Gobber said

Toothless pauses at the foot of the bed, tongue wagging. He eyes the rafters... and leaps up onto them, brimming with 'happy dog' energy.

Hiccup (distressed): Okay, okay -- no Toothless! Aw, come on...

Hiccup shifts to get out of bed... then pauses... sensing that something is wrong. He peels back the covers slowly. What he sees startles, horrifies, and overwhelms him -- all at once.

His booted foot touches down. Followed by a mechanical prosthetic in place of his second leg. It's an ingenious spring-loaded replacement, made of wood and iron. Toothless lands by the bed and approaches calmly, sniffing the new leg. He raises his eyes to meet Hiccup's, seemingly aware of what Hiccup is going through. Hiccup braces himself on the bedpost and tries to stand on it. He winces and stifles the pain...

"Losing a foot at fifteen is to young to lose something like that." Mala said

Hiccup: Okay...okay...

... but stumbles with the first step. Toothless catches Hiccup's fall with his head... and slowly lifts him up, stabilizing him.

Hiccup: Thanks bud.

Hiccup leans on him like a crutch. They take a few steps together. Their missing parts form a poetic silhouette as they make their way toward the door.Hiccup pries it open (as he did in the opening scene), revealing a MONSTROUS NIGHTMARE flapping outside the door. Hiccup yelps and slams the door closed. He turns to Toothless, alarmed.