Chapter One -Alberta POV

Alberta chose to read this chapter. She never thought Rose took the Princess for simple teenager reasons, she knew the young girl better than that. It was the not knowing whether they were safe or where they were that always worried her. Rose is the closest thing she has ever and will ever come close to a daughter.

I FELT HER FEAR BEFORE I heard her screams.

"Weird way to start" Abe said with concern in his voice. Everyone seemed to be thinking the same thing, something didn't seem right.

Her nightmare pulsed into me, shaking me out of my own dream, which had had something to do with a beach and some hot guy rubbing suntan oil on me. Images—hers, not mine— tumbled through my mind: fire and blood, the smell of smoke, the twisted metal of a car. The pictures wrapped around me, suffocating me, until some rational part of my brain reminded me that this wasn't my dream.

"If it's not her dream than whose is it?" Tatiana asked though the others wanted to know too, and how it was possible Rosemarie was dreaming as someone else.

I woke up, strands of long, dark hair sticking to my forehead. Lissa lay in her bed, thrashing and screaming. I bolted out of mine, quickly crossing the few feet that separated us.

"Well at least she is staying close with the Princess" Janine said with disdain in her voice. Alberta mentally rolled her eyes, unable to understand why Janine has always been so hard on her daughter. Rose staying close to the Princess was never a doubt for those who truly knew her and watched her grown up, Alto and Kirova being exceptions.

"Liss," I said, shaking her. "Liss, wake up." Her screams dropped off, replaced by soft whimpers.

"Andre," she moaned. "Oh God." I helped her sit up.

"Liss, you aren't there any more. Wake up." After a few moments, her eyes fluttered open, and in the dim lighting, I could see a flicker of consciousness start to take over. Her frantic breathing slowed, and she leaned into me, resting her head against my shoulder. I put an arm around her and ran a hand over her hair. "It's okay," I told her gently. "Everything's okay."

"I had that dream."

Everyone seemed shocked. Kirova stating the obvious, that it was Lissa's dream. Abe was wondering aloud how on Earth Rose had been seeing it, his voice seeming angry. Dimitri stayed silent, waiting to see if his suspicions about a bond are correct. If so, he knows the path for the Princess and Rose will be more difficult than anyone here realizes and wonders if he is going to be able to be any help.

"Yeah. I know." We sat like that for several minutes, not saying anything else. When I felt her emotions calm down, I leaned over to the night stand between our beds and turned on the lamp. It glowed dimly, but neither of us really needed much to see by. Attracted by the light, our house mate's cat, Oscar, leapt up onto the sill of the open window.

The guardians in the room thought it reckless to be leaving a window open at night. While they all knew a closed window would not deter Strigoi, it may slow them down or provide a little warning.

He gave me a wide berth—animals don't like dhampirs, for whatever reason—but jumped onto the bed and rubbed his head against Lissa, purring softly. Animals didn't have a problem with Moroi, and they all loved Lissa in particular. Smiling, she scratched his chin, and I felt her calm further. 

"When did we last do a feeding?" I asked, studying her face.

Everyone in the room flinched but Janine exploded, enraged, threatening that she better not be using herself to feed the Princess and how it makes her worse than a blood whore. Abe responded with equal anger directed at Janine, questioning how she dared to say such a thing and stating that it shows her dedication to keeping Lissa healthy, that it should be admired rather than condemned. You could tell not everyone agreed with him, some of his own guardians included, but really it showed that there had to be a legitimate reason for them to be away from the Academy as it meant they were trying to hide from the Moroi community at large by avoiding feeder centres. Alberta agreed with Abe's point, reminding them the alternative would be to risk using humans or breaking into hospital supplies.