Chapter 24 - Pavel POV cont

Once the room settled again they decided to finish the last chapter, everyone knowing they wouldn't sleep without answers. Like whom Natalie killed in order to turn strigoi. If they make it out or if Rose stops them.How Rose makes it out, or if she makes it at all. Pavel decided to just continue rather than pass the book and Dimitri was suddenly wishing he taught her to stake and see only the monster they are now and not who they were.

IN SPITE OF ALL THE training I'd received, all the lessons on Strigoi habits and how to defend against them, I'd never ever actually seen one. It was scarier than I'd expected. This time, when she swung at me again, I was ready. Sort of. I dodged back, slipping out of reach, wondering what chance I had. I remembered Dimitri's joke about the mall. No silver stake. Nothing to cut her head off with. No way to set her on fire. Running seemed like the best option after all, but she was blocking my way.

Dimitri was having mixed reactions to Rose truly understanding his lesson but wished he'd taught her more fighting and staking already. Everyone seemed worried for whether Rose will make it out. Guardians in particular knew that the first encounter with Strigoi is where most die. And here Rose is unarmed and unprepared. She likely has no back up either as Natalie likely killed them to get in, plus, Rose knows the Strigoi. All of the obstacles suggest she doesn't survive but they hope to be proven wrong.

Feeling useless, I simply backed down the hall as she advanced on me, her movements far more graceful than they'd ever been in life. Then, also faster than she'd ever moved in life, she leapt out, grabbed me, and slammed my head against the wall. Pain exploded in my skull, and I felt pretty sure that was blood I tasted in the back of my mouth. Frantically, I fought against her, trying to mount some kind of defense, but it was like fighting Dimitri on crack.

Nervous laughter filled the room at that comment, classic Rose. Janine was growling and telling her daughter to concentrate on the fight but the gag muffled her.

"My dear," murmured Victor, "try not to kill her if you don't have to. We might be able to use her later." Natalie paused in her attack, giving me a moment to back up, but she never took her cold eyes off me. 

"I'll try not to." There was a skeptical tone in her voice. "Get out of here now. I'll meet you there when I'm done."

Moroi and dhampir alike were confused. How was Natalie not attacking her father and still acting like his daughter? It was a common understanding that Strigoi preferred Moroi blood. It clicked then for Tatiana. "Is this why you said you have to bring yourself to kill?" The guardians nodded, the hardest part is to not see who they were.

"I can't believe you!" I yelled after him. "You got your own daughter to turn Strigoi?"

"A last resort. A necessary sacrifice made for the greater good. Natalie understands." He left.

Abe didn't understand how Victor could be so cruel to ask his daughter to do such a thing let alone be so unmoved about it afterward.

"Do you?" I hoped I could stall her with talking, just like in the movies. I also hoped my questions would hide how utterly and completely terrified I was. "Do you understand? God, Natalie. You...you turned. Just because he told you to?"

Dimitri and Alberta looked scared, knowing that Rose won't be able to stall her for long if at all, and just hoping someone comes to save her and kill Natalie.

"My father's a great man," she replied. "He's going to save the Moroi from the Strigoi."

"Are you insane?" I cried. I was backing up again and suddenly hit the wall. My nails dug into it, as though I could dig my way through. "You are a Strigoi."