Chapter 2 - Tatiana POV

Tatiana jumped at the chance to read next, excited to see already that they have been found and curious to know so many other things. It is nice to be more free. While she is still their Queen, she doesn't feel like her every move is being scrutinized right now and has relaxed more than she has in a while.

MY HATRED NOTWITHSTANDING, I HAD to admit Dimitri Beli- whatever was pretty smart. After they'd carted us off to the airport to and onto the Academy's private jet, he'd taken one look at the two of us whispering and ordered us separated.

"Smart Belikov" Janine spoke, likely expecting Rosemarie to be doing just that.

"Don't let them talk to each other," he warned the guardian who escorted me to the back of the plane. "Five minutes together, and they'll come up with an escape plan." 

I shot him a haughty look and stormed off down the aisle. Never mind the fact we had been planning escape.

Alberta wasn't surprised that Rose was not planning to return to the Academy, despite being caught, but didn't know why and so shrugged at the Queens questioning look.

As it was, things didn't look good for our heroes—or heroines, rather. Once we were in the air, our odds of escape dropped further. Even supposing a miracle occurred and I did manage to take out all ten guardians, we'd sort of have a problem in getting off the plane. I figured they might have parachutes aboard somewhere, but in the unlikely event I'd be able to operate one, there was still that little issue of survival, seeing as we'd probably land somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.

Janine rolled her eyes before spitting out how irresponsible her child is being at even leaving the Academy with the Princess the first time, let alone considering such reckless actions. While Kirova agreed with Guardian Hathaway, plenty thought like Alberta, that there was a reason they left and that it posed a threat to the safety of Vasilissa.

No, we weren't getting off this plane until it landed in backwoods Montana. I'd have to think of something then, something that involved getting past the Academy's magical wards and ten times as many guardians. Yeah. No problem.

Abe wasn't putting anything past his little girl it seemed and Alberta also didn't seem to bat a lash at the thought of them escaping the Academy once again. She must have inherited quite a few of his traits if they'd managed to stay so close to our society yet on the fringes enough to remain undiscovered until now. It made the Queen wonder if they'd have ever been found if not for these books, if perhaps they were found to begin with simply because of a silly mistake or lucky break somewhere. Realizing they'd only get answers if they continue she put aside her thoughts and continued reading after a silent prayer that the Princess stay safe until they retrieve them both.

Although Lissa sat at the front with the Russian guy, her fear sang back to me, pounding inside my head like a hammer. My concern for her cut into my fury. They couldn't take her back there, not to that place. I wondered if Dimitri might have hesitated if he could feel what I did and if he knew what I knew. Probably not. He didn't care.

"How does she knows what the Princess is feeling" Janine asked, everyone suddenly cluing to the fact that this was not the first suggestion that they may be linked in some way. Dimitri was the one to respond, stating they may have a bond. While everyone was surprised at that, stories of such occurrences so rare and undocumented the concern instead shifted to why there is such fear of returning to the Academy. It had long been suggested that schools were safe but it seems they may not be as safe as thought. Alberta decided to be the one to speak up however, stating that it seemed that if anyone will get Rose to be forthcoming with information, it seems that person will be Dimitri. He grew nervous at the thoughts of that, mainly because of what was implied.