Chapter 18 - Alberta POV

After a quick stretch of their legs they sat down to try and get though more chapters. They were all starting to grow tired but they were making better progress than they thought they would at the start of the day. Alberta decided to read this chapter in the hopes that if anything 'personal' happened between Dimitri and Rose it would be in the following chapters and Dimitri could read them himself.

I WOKE UP STARING AT the boring white ceiling of the clinic. A filtered light—soothing to Moroi patients—shone down on me. I felt strange, kind of disoriented, but I didn't hurt.

"How was she in enough pain to black out but not be hurting when she woke up" Janine asked, already on her daughter's case again. Abe responded quickly with the likelihood that Lissa healed her. Breaths caught at the thought, knowing the consequences of healing for Lissa. There was also the fear that whoever was behind the dead animals grew impatient or realized them alone would not be enough to test Lissa. Instead, they purposefully injured Rose. It was Abe's fear being realized.

"Rose."The voice was like silk on my skin. Gentle. Rich. Turning my head, I met Dimitri's dark eyes. He sat in a chair beside the bed I lay on, his shoulder-length brown hair hanging forward and framing his face.

 "Hey," I said, my voice coming out as a croak.

"How do you feel?"

"Weird. Kind of groggy."

"Dr. Olendzki gave you something for the pain—you seemed pretty bad when we brought you in."

Kirova snapped, questioning if she was even hurt to begin with. Alberta knew Rose had a higher tolerance for pain so to black out was huge, ignoring Kirova she continued.

"I don't remember that...How long have I been out?"

"A few hours."

"Must have been strong. Must still be strong." Some of the details came back. The bench. My ankle getting caught. I couldn't remember much after that. Feeling hot and cold and then hot again. Tentatively, I tried moving the toes on my healthy foot. "I don't hurt at all."

He shook his head. "No. Because you weren't seriously injured."

Janine looked around. "A fall like that would have at least sprained her ankle". There were agreeing nods, no one just walks away from how that was described. Abe looked around as he commented that Rose is describing how she has felt being healed in the past, confirming their thoughts that Lissa must have healed her.

The sound of my ankle cracking came back to me. 

"Are you sure? I remember...the way it bent. No. Something must be broken." I manage to sit up, so I could look at my ankle. "Or at least sprained."

He moved forward to stop me. "Be careful. Your ankle might be fine, but you're probably still a little out of it." 

I carefully shifted to the edge of the bed and looked down. My jeans were rolled up. The ankle looked a little red, but I had no bruises or serious marks. "God, I got lucky. If I'd hurt it, it would have put me out of practice for a while."

Smiling, he returned to his chair. "I know. You kept telling me that while I was carrying you. You were very upset."

Janine growled she didn't see why it had to be Dimitri that carried her though Alberta couldn't imagine him letting anyone else do it, especially since all guardians present were other males. Dimitri was lost in thoughts about Rose being so upset about possibly missing training when she indulgently reminded him that they are now Rose's favorite part of the day. It cause Janine to growl again and Dimitri become embarrassed.