Chapter 4 - Dimitri POV

Dimitri was passed the book to read next and he was already wondering what he has gotten himself into by agreeing to mentor Rose. With a deep breath, he began.

WE DIDN'T HAVE THE ENTIRE commons' attention this time, thank God, but a few passing people had stopped to stare.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" asked Doll Girl, blue eyes wide and sparkling with fury. Up close now, I was able to get a better look at her. She had the same slim build as most Moroi but not the usual height, which was partly what made her look so young. The tiny purple dress she wore was gorgeous—reminding me that I was indeed dressed in thrift-shop wear—but closer inspection led me to think it was a designer knockoff.

I crossed my arms across my chest. "Are you lost, little girl? The elementary school's over on west campus."

A pink flush spread over her cheeks. "Don't you ever touch me again. You screw with me, and I'll screw you right back."

"Oh God what an opening" Christian laughed but cringing when he heard the next line. He shuddered at the thought that he and Rose thought the same at all which had Abe smiling, planning to enjoy listening to a sibling relationship between them unfold.

Oh man, what an opening that was. Only a head shake from Lissa stopped me from unleashing any number of hilarious comebacks. Instead, I opted for simple brute force, so to speak. 

"And if you mess with either of us again, I'll break you in half. If you don't believe me, go ask Dawn Yarrow about what I did to her arm in ninth grade. You were probably at nap time when it happened."

Alberta, Kirova and Christian flinched a little, the story is still told around campus and one of those times where she escaped punishment because they couldn't prove if it was intentional or an accident. 

"Let's just say her reputation of being dangerous and to not mess with Rose or those she cares about has been well earned" Alberta confirmed. Abe seemed very satisfied while Janine was angry.

The incident with Dawn hadn't been one of my finer moments. I honestly hadn't expected to break any bones when I shoved her into a tree.

"Well at least she states she didn't intend for broken bones." Abe smirked at Janine who was still fuming that her daughter had obviously inherited both her parents temper with neither of their control over it. Tatiana was having mixed reactions to this; happy that Rosemarie's mini-Zmey reputation would protect Vasilissa, but also likely place her in greater danger due to her father's enemies; That's a thought for tomorrow.

Still, the incident had given me a dangerous reputation, in addition to my smart ass one. The story had gained legendary status, and I liked to imagine that it was still being told around campfires late at night. Judging from the look on this girl's face, it was.

"It is definitely still being told around the school. And I imagine that once they know Rose is back, all her protection stories will start getting re-told as a way to remind people not to mess with her" Alberta and Christian spoke. Christian thought that if Mia isn't careful, she'll end up the next Dawn Yarrow or worse.

One of the patrolling staff members strolled by right then, casting suspicious eyes at our little meeting. Doll Girl backed off, taking Aaron's arm. 

"Come on," she said.

"Hey, Aaron," I said cheerfully, remembering he was there. "Nice to see you again." He gave me a quick nod and an uneasy smile, just as the girl dragged him off. Same old Aaron. He might be nice and cute, but aggressive he was not.

There were chuckles from Alberta and Christian at that and they received a slight glare from Kirova and Tatiana. 

"Sorry, but he is the least aggressive person in the school" Christian spoke up.