Chapter 1

John winced as he sat on the edge of his sofa, holding a blood-soaked cloth against the wound in his leg. He had been shot during his last mission, and even though he had managed to escape, the pain was excruciating.

He knew that he needed to clean and dress the wound, but he also knew that he couldn't risk going to a hospital. He was a spy, and so a low profile was highly advised.

He took a deep breath and tried to steady his shaking hands as he pulled out a first-aid kit from his bag. He knew that he had to be careful and precise, or else he could make the wound worse.

He poured some antiseptic solution onto a piece of gauze and gingerly dabbed it onto the wound, gritting his teeth against the burning sensation. He knew that he needed to make sure that the wound was clean and free from infection.

Once he was satisfied that the wound was clean, he started to bandage it up. He had to work one-handed, as his other arm was still too weak and painful to use.

He carefully wrapped the bandage around his leg, making sure to keep the pressure on the wound. The bandage was tight, but he knew that it was necessary to stop the bleeding.

As he finished, he leaned back against the sofa and took a deep breath, feeling the pain ebb away a little bit. He knew that he had to take it easy for the next few days, and he also knew that he had to be careful. He couldn't let anyone know about his injury, especially not his enemies.

John closed his eyes as he tried to calm himself down. He knew that he was lucky to have made it out alive, and he was grateful for that. But he also knew that he couldn't let his guard down.