Chapter 19

"You're lying to me," he said firmly.

Isabella's expression didn't change. "What are you talking about?" she asked, feigning innocence.

"When we landed, you told me that you steal from the rich to give to the poor," John reminded her. "But now you're telling me that you've been working with your father to retrieve the Mona Lisa for years. Which is it?"

Isabella sighed, knowing that she had been caught in her own lies. "Okay, you got me," she admitted. "I didn't want to blow my cover, so I made up a story about stealing from the rich. But the truth is, my father and I have been working together for years to retrieve stolen art and return it to its rightful owners."

John raised an eyebrow. "And what about the money you've been getting from the sale of those stolen paintings?"

Isabella's eyes flickered with guilt. "I won't lie, we've kept some of the profits for ourselves. But the majority of it has gone to charity. We use it to fund art programs for underprivileged children."

John shook his head, feeling frustrated and betrayed. "I can't believe this," he muttered.

Isabella reached out to take his hand. "Please, John. I know I lied to you, but I didn't want to lose your trust. You're the first person I've met who actually cares about art and the beauty in the world. I don't want to lose you."

John sighed, feeling torn. He had been drawn to Isabella from the moment he met her, but now he wasn't sure he could trust her. He needed time to think. "I need to be alone for a while," he said, standing up from the bed. "I'll be back later."

Isabella watched him go, her heart heavy with regret. She knew she had messed up, and now she had to find a way to make things right with John.

John stood at the entrance of the hotel room, staring at the closed door. He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair, feeling the weight of everything that had happened in the past few days. He knew he had been swept up in something bigger than himself, something that had taken him far away from his life as a spy.

As he walked down the hallway, he couldn't shake the feeling that he had gone too far. He had always known the risks that came with his job, but this was different. He had crossed lines he never thought he would, and he wasn't sure he could ever go back to the person he was before.

The weight of his actions hung heavy on his shoulders as he stepped into the elevator. He pressed the button for the lobby, feeling a sense of relief as the doors closed.

But as the elevator descended, John knew that he couldn't escape the consequences of his actions. He had to face what he had done and try to make things right. He didn't know how he would do it, but he knew he had to try.

The doors opened, and John stepped out into the lobby. He took a deep breath and looked around, wondering where to go from here. He knew he couldn't go back to his old life, but he also couldn't continue down the path he was on.

 He remembered Max's warning about Agent Carter and the government's interest in the diamond. He needed to know more. He pulled out his phone and dialed Max's number.

"Hello, John," Max said, his voice calm and collected.

"Max, do you know anything about the government trying to get a hold of the diamond?" John asked, cutting straight to the point.

There was a pause on the other end of the line, and John could hear Max shuffling around in the background.

"I do," Max finally replied, his tone serious. "Agent Carter has been asking around, trying to track it down, the government believes that it has some kind of strategic value."

Max as if realizing John's discomfort he tries to assure him

"You've done enough already, my friend," Max said. "Just keep it safe and don't let anyone get their hands on it."

John nodded, even though Max couldn't see him. "I'll do my best."

" Now Johnny boy, deliver me that diamond," 

John stood in front of the old, abandoned factory, the diamond secured in his pocket. He had been instructed by Max to leave the diamond in a specific location inside the factory. As he walked through the desolate halls, John couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. He knew that he was in deep and that things could turn out badly.

After walking for what seemed like hours, John finally reached the spot where he was supposed to leave the diamond. He took a deep breath and pulled it out of his pocket, placing it carefully on the ground. Just as he turned to leave, he heard a noise coming from the corner of the room.

"Who's there?" John called out, his heart pounding in his chest.

A figure stepped out of the shadows, and John's blood ran cold. It was Agent Carter.

"What are you doing here?" John demanded, taking a step back.

"I could ask you the same thing, aren't you supposed to be dead? " Agent Carter replied coolly, a smug look on her face.

John realized that he had been set up. Max had known all along that the government was after the diamond, and he had used John as a pawn to get it to them. Anger and betrayal flooded through John as he glared at Agent Carter.

"You're working with Max, aren't you?" John asked, his voice low and dangerous.

Agent Carter smirked. "Max Brown is a good friend of mine. He knew that you were the perfect person to retrieve the diamond for him. And he was right."

John clenched his fists, his mind racing with thoughts of revenge. He had been used, and he wasn't going to let Max or Agent Carter get away with it.

"I'll find Max, and I'll make him pay for what he's done," John said through gritted teeth.

Agent Carter laughed. "Good luck with that. Max is already long gone, and you'll never catch him."

With that, Agent Carter turned and disappeared into the darkness, leaving John alone