Chapter 20

John dialed Isabella's number on his phone and waited anxiously as it rang. He wasn't sure how she was going to react to what he was about to tell her.

"Hello?" Isabella's voice finally answered.

"Isabella, it's John," he said, his voice betraying his nerves.

"John, what's wrong?" she asked, her tone serious.

"I delivered the diamond to Max like he asked," John said, getting straight to the point. "But I think there's something bigger going on. Max mentioned Agent Carter and the government trying to get a hold of the diamond. Do you know anything about that?"

Isabella was silent for a moment before she spoke. "No, I don't know anything about that. But John, are you okay?"

John paused. He hadn't even thought about his own safety until Isabella brought it up. "I don't know," he said honestly. "I think I'm in too deep with all of this. I don't know if I can go back to being a spy."

"I need you to come to the old abandoned factory. I'll explain everything when you get here."

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as possible," Isabella said, sensing the urgency in John's voice.

John hung up the phone and sat on the dusty ground, his back against the wall. He couldn't believe the mess he had gotten himself into. He had always thought of himself as a skilled spy, but he had never encountered anything like this before. The stakes were high, and he had no idea how it was going to end.

As he waited for Isabella, John replayed the events of the past few days in his mind. He had flown to Venice to steal a diamond for Max Brown, only to find out that the diamond was the key to something much bigger. Isabella had entered his life like a whirlwind, and he couldn't deny that he was attracted to her. But now, he didn't know what to think.

A car pulled up outside the factory, and John stood up, his heart racing. Isabella got out of the car and walked towards him, concern etched on her face.

"What's going on, John?" Isabella asked, placing a hand on his shoulder

"I don't know," John said, shaking his head. 

Isabella put her arms around him, pulling him into a tight embrace. 

John closed his eyes, feeling a sense of relief wash over him. For the first time in a long time, he felt like he had someone he could trust. He didn't know what the future held, but he knew he wasn't alone.

Isabella and John sat on the bed in their hotel room, both of them looking exhausted. Isabella had changed into a comfortable pair of pajamas, and John had taken off his suit jacket.

"Are you okay?" Isabella asked, reaching out to take John's hand.

He squeezed her hand in return. "Yeah, I'm okay. It's been a long day."

Isabella nodded. "I can't believe everything that's happened. The diamond, the Mona Lisa... it's all so crazy."

John leaned back against the pillows. "Yeah. And it's not over yet. Max said the government was  after the diamond but he was working with them all this time."

Isabella nodded in agreement. "We'll figure something out.

John smiled at her. "You're right. We make a pretty good team."

Isabella smiled back at him, and they sat in silence for a few moments, just enjoying each other's company.

Finally, Isabella spoke up. "John, I wanted to apologize for lying to you earlier. It was wrong of me to..."

John shook his head. "It's okay. I understand why you did it. And I have to admit, I was pretty impressed by your skills."

Isabella laughed. "Well, it's not something I'm proud of. But I'm glad you're not mad at me."

John leaned in closer to her. "I could never be mad at you, Isabella. You mean too much to me."

Isabella's heart skipped a beat at John's words. She had always been attracted to him, but she had never thought he felt the same way. She looked into his eyes and saw the truth in them, and without thinking, she leaned in and kissed him.

The kiss was soft and sweet, and they broke apart, smiling at each other.

"Wow," John said softly. "I've been wanting to do that for a long time."

Isabella grinned. "Me too."

They kissed again, and this time, it was more passionate. They fell back onto the bed, their arms wrapped around each other, and they knew that they were exactly where they were meant to be.

The two assumed a seat on the sofa , both  deep in thought. John had been quiet for a while.

Isabella looked over at him and asked, "What are you thinking about?"

John took a deep breath and said, "Remember when we met the second time at the bar , i met up with a man named Carlo, the thief who stole the Mona Lisa?"

Isabella nodded her head, "Yes, I remember , i thought you were just there for a drink, tell me more about this Carlo."

"Well, he told me about a private collector in Spain who has a vast collection of stolen art. He might have the Mona Lisa, and we could use that to our advantage," John explained.

Isabella looked intrigued, "What's your plan?"

"We'll have to infiltrate the collector's estate and get our hands on the Mona Lisa," John said.

Isabella's eyes widened in surprise, "That sounds like a dangerous plan."

John nodded his head, "It is. But we don't have much choice.You said you needed the painting,"

Isabella looked at John with concern, "But what if we get caught?"

John smirked, "Don't worry, I have a few tricks up my sleeve."

Isabella looked at him skeptically, "I hope so."

John got up from the sofa and walked towards his suitcase. He opened it and took out a small device.

"What's that?" Isabella asked.

"This is a thermal camera. It'll help us detect any movement within the estate," John explained.

Isabella looked impressed, "You really are a spy."

John smiled, "Once a spy, always a spy."

Isabella got up from the sofa and walked over to John. She placed a hand on his shoulder, "Be careful, John."

John turned to her and smiled, "Always am."

With that, John and Isabella began to plan their mission to steal the Mona Lisa. They knew it wouldn't be easy, but they were determined to get their hands on it.