Chapter 12

"I mean, even experienced ministry officials can simply go 'we're out of leads because nobody remembers anything'," Dani told Ben as they left the Charms classroom after confirming Dani's theory. "We're better than them. ...Despite how thoroughly messed up that sounds."

"Because unfortunately, it's now up to a bunch of 17-year-old Hogwarts students to stop death eaters from releasing a magical gas that looks and smells like the air we breathe, but makes people forget how amazing the world was before You-Know-Who. And Diagon Alley is their first test." Ben chuckled to himself and turned to Dani. "Or at least that's the first thing I could come up with. Because there has to be a reason why we both remember the, ah, DEMONSTRATION Corey put on last night, right? Unless you don't, in which case I envy you."

Dani burst out laughing. "Yeah, I wish I could just forget that too."

"I know, right? Anyway, I'm saying that there has to be a connection between Ollivander and Villanelle but not between them and us. Like they tried to cast spells using the wand. Or they both work on Diagon Alley." Ben thought for a bit more and smiled to himself. "Or they both bought that-" His expression shifted as realization dawned upon him.

Forty seconds later, Snape gave a dramatic moan as he mixed a bowl of powder. "Mr. Copper, Miss Jackson, there is no hurry to bother me."

"Professor, we want you to have a look at this."

To absolutely nobody's surprise, Snape crinkled his nose as two bottles of Xeep's Luscious Locks Solution were shoved upon him. "They're a bit too... purple for my taste."

"We're on orders from Mad-Eye Moody," Dani put on a serious tone.

Snape groaned dramatically again. "Fine." He opened one of the bottles, and his frown of annoyance morphed into one of concern. He emptied the bottle into a cauldron and began frantically waving his wand. "I'll have to warn Albus, we can't have children getting their hands on this..."

"What is it, professor?"

"As far as I can tell, it's similar to the forgetfulness potion, but not only is it far more complex, it may stay in effect for much longer, or cause a much greater degree of memory loss, or take effect via contact instead of consumption, or be able to cause a massive detrimental effect on the brain development of your schoolmates, but most likely, all four plus plenty of other side effects I've yet to determine. Please tell me the aurors grew brains and your assignment was to get this off the market."

"If the aurors grew brains, then I'd be the Queen of England."

"So go do your homework or something and don't disturb me." Dani heard Snape curse 'Fudge and his incompetent brigade' under his breath as she turned to leave.

"You know what, I'll count on Snape to do his part," said Ben. "We'd get laughed out of any store if we tried to convince them something was wrong with a HAIR POTION."

"I mean, I can think of a more DIRECT solution to our problem..."
************************************
The next morning, Dani and Marina were discussing Transfiguration homework over breakfast when a letter fell on top of Dani's bacon.

"Dolores Umbridge?" asked Marina, peeking over Dani's shoulder as she became more and more deflated with every sentence on the letter. "Sounds like you won't find anything for an interesting article on HER. This Rita lady clearly doesn't want to make this deal happen."

Dani pondered Rita's words. She could do this the hard way and try to get SOMETHING out of Umbridge that wouldn't send all of Rita's readers to sleep.

Or she could do this the easy way.

"Be right back." Dani got up and went over to the person at the Ravenclaw table who looked like she was building some contraption. "Hey Tulip..."