Orphic

[Aparajita]

“Everyday a new drama begins that never ends!”

—❀—

Was my life destined to be like this?

When I lived in Kanakpur with my biological father, my life was full of happiness and contentment. He wasn’t only a serving king but also a doting father. He never neglected the duties of father in the shadow of his royal duties. I was a princess but without the limits of rules and regulations. I was an ordinary girl even though I was a princess. My father made sure that his children stayed out of the world of cruel world of the paparazzi. A normal life with lots of freedom indeed.

I was sixteen and Amayra was two when we heard of his tragic death in a car accident. We were informed by the police authorities that his body was charred in the accident in such a way that it was difficult to identify it. They highlighted the fact that the cause of his death was the overspeed of his car. And it was indigestible to me. He loved speed but knew how to put the reins of control on it.

Winning a battle with or without bloodshed and loss of properties, he was the irresistible victor, but he lost the battle of speed. I still couldn’t believe this!

I wanted at least four hours of peaceful sleep after an exhausting day but someone didn’t like the idea either. When I was splashing water to look fresh, a yawn escaped from my mouth. Even after numerous efforts, I wasn’t looking fresh. I called the maid and ordered her to bring me a cup of tea, only Chai can make me look fresh.

Chai
I should probably pronounce it as peace. Who needs shots of liquor when they’ve a cup of tea to soothe their choleric nerves? Chai is such a language that allows itself to be noticed in no time. You take a sip and its aroma beckons to take another sip. An addiction yet doesn’t feel like one.

I entered the conference hall, where Raghuveer Singh Amethiya was sitting in the middle of the plush hall with a few of his confidants and my mother was also present there. A presentation was playing on the screen and Himmat Singh, my step-father’s trusted man, was standing there to explain that particular presentation. Resisting the urge to sigh in frustration, I paid my greetings to the King and Queen, and took a seat beside my mother who was sitting there with a face devoid of emotions.

By the way, after marrying this person, she never showed emotions.

“Let’s start the presentation because everyone is here who needs to be. Shall we, Maharaj?” He asked looking straight towards my step-father. He nodded, indicating permission to begin.

“As we all know that elections are coming in the state and Maharaj has decided that he will participate in this election. We’ve come together to chalk out a strategy for this election.” It felt as if I had fallen down from a great height after hearing this news.

The person who doesn’t even go among his people, wants to be their representative. Almighty knows how I was controlling myself not to laugh. And who will give them their precious vote? Even I’ll not give my vote to him. Actually vote is a precious thing, which is visible only in five years and I’m not going to waste it on this mentally retarded person.

My fingertips would be honored to have chosen ‘None of the above’ instead.

“Our constituency is vast as well as full of people from different castes. And to woo them, we have to adopt different strategies on them. To accomplish this difficult task, we’ve invited a political expert and analyst. Ms. Ekantika Mathur!” He pointed his fingers towards the main entrance of the hall.