Chapter 13

Aurelia shook off her umbrella before entering the bookstore. Seattle was a nice city, but she was getting tired of the rain. She had been planning to move soon anyways – three years here had been more than enough for her.

"Morning Roger," Aurelia greeted the store's owner. "What's with all the commotion?"

The store was filled with kids, many more than usual. Aurelia already dreaded cleaning up, she could see the chaos they were spreading, spilling out of the children's area.

He lowered his newspaper and scratched his head. Roger was certainly beyond retirement age, but Aurelia knew he still loved working here. The store had been in his family for decades, but he unfortunately didn't have a next of kin to take over.

"An author is stopping by today on his book tour. He's going to read to the kids," he explained. "Don't remember the fellow's name though, some Canadian author."

It was a rare, but fun event for them. Their small, independent store never received much attention.

The back of the store had been already set up. A large chair at the front, and little beanbags and soft chairs for the kids. The table next to the seat displayed several copies of the book.

She skimmed through the book. Instead of one full story, it was an anthology of around a dozen short stories. Colourful illustrations and charming fonts covered each page.

"Looks like it'll be fun!"

-

Aurelia quietly came back into the store after lunch. She could hear someone reading, presumably the author to the kids. It would've been a good time to tidy up, but she wanted to take a peek first – it was always such a cute sight. She headed towards the back of the store and stood on her toes to try and peer over the adults crowded at the back of the group. Her hand immediately covered her mouth to muffle a gasp.

Sitting at the front was none other than Max, about to read a story about cats.

There once were two cats, close as can be.

One was named Aurora, the other, Matty.

They played, purred, and even tried to roar.

Aurora however, wanted more.

Aurelia quickly crouched back down behind the crowd. It looked like Max had taken the suggestion of writing from experience seriously.

She felt sick to her stomach just hearing his voice. The last time she saw him was through a window, on the verge of a panic attack. He and his family had tried relentlessly calling and texting her afterwards, but she ignored them. Maria even left a voicemail, telling her how much she missed her. It completely broke her heart, but she never responded to any of them.

She never returned to the library either, she simply sent a resignation email to Elaine and packed up her bags. The only option she saw left was to abandon that part of her life forever.

Aurelia cautiously peered at him again as the story seemed to be nearing its end. She almost didn't recognize him. He looked thinner and paler than she remembered, and his bright, cheerful aura was no longer there.

She unlocked her cage and quickly slipped out.

Leaving Matty to wonder, what was that all about?

Days, weeks, and years went by.

Matty waited for Aurora to return, he never got to say goodbye.

But she never came back, turning Matty's heart to stone.

Went off to live her own life, leaving Matty alone.

Max's voice trailed off with a soft sigh at the end, and a distant look settled in his eyes – they didn't have the same stunning gleam anymore. It utterly broke her heart, seeing how much he was still hurting.

There was awkward murmuring among the adults, most could tell this was not a typical children's story, but none wanted to address it. The children seemed completely oblivious to the tone, however, and excitedly clapped for him.

Max gave them a sheepish smile – only someone without a heart wouldn't be able to smile at a roomful of children cheering for them.

"Now does anyone have any questions for Mr. Baker?" Roger asked.

Many little hands shot straight up. Most questions were innocent and cute, and made the adults laugh.

Max's eyes skimmed the room before they suddenly stopped on Aurelia. Her heart skipped a beat as the two made eye contact. She felt like a deer caught in headlights, but she couldn't bolt – for some reason, she didn't want to. Max raised his eyebrows ever so slightly, most people wouldn't even have noticed, but Aurelia could still recognize his subtle mannerisms. Just as quickly, he looked away again and took another little girl's question.

She held her breath – maybe he didn't recognize her. Her hair that was once dark brown and wavy had been dyed blonde and chemically straightened after settling down in her new home. Her brown eyes were masked by grey contact lenses.

A little boy raised his hand. "Where did you get the idea for that last story about the cats?"

"It's based on a personal experience," Max began speaking towards him, but his eyes slowly drifted towards Aurelia until he was looking right at her. There was a daring look in his eyes, his stare was piercing and she couldn't look away. His demeanor had completely changed, as if a new light had been lit inside of him. "There was someone I loved with all my heart, but she left without a trace one day. I really missed her, and have always wished we'd run into each other again one day."

Aurelia felt the remaining bits of her broken heart crumble into dust. She blinked away tears and left, returning to her place behind the cash register.

-

Aurelia quickly got through the line of parents purchasing the book. Being a cashier was much easier than a librarian, but she did miss her old job sometimes. She hoped Elaine was doing well.

She gulped when the last person in line approached the counter.

"Hey Aurelia."

"H-hi Max," she said softly. She tried looking up at him, but couldn't make eye contact. "Long time no see."

He gave her a measly attempt at a smile. "Almost three years, huh," he said. "Do you think we could talk? I'd really like to catch up and I'm only in town until tomorrow morning."

"I'm off at four."