Chapter 8

Gajeel was compting the cracks on the ceiling of his bedroom. It was still dawn and nobody was awake in his guild dormitory so he was just waiting in his bed, as bored as he was. It has been seven years since his dad left him behind to go who knows where.

Gajeel wandered in the country for like a year before he stopped searching. His dad abandoned him why should he bother looking for him?
Master Jose found him when he was living in a metal garbage dump and he took him to his guild. Apparently, Gajeel had some potential and he wanted to figure it out. Geheh. Of course, he had potential he was a dragon slayer, not really the kind of wizard you could find anywhere.

Living in a real house with other humans was hard at first, they were constantly invading his territory and the big amount of smells and sounds were way too much for him. When they noticed his savage behavior the humans stayed away from him, not that he complained, they were a pain to the ass to handle back then.

With time he managed to get used to the others when he was in a crowd but he was still avoiding it if he could. However, his relationship with humans didn't improve. They were afraid of him and kept treating him like some kind of monster. He would lie if he said he was okay with it now. It was fine before when he was a kid and he didn't want to deal with them but now that he grew up, he knew he couldn't keep it up like that.

Loneliness was driving him crazy. When he was still a kid and the feeling started to appear he could still go against Jose but now he couldn't even care about what he was doing. As a machine, he was just blindly following the master's orders. The others at the guild kept saying he was Jose's little pet, he couldn't really object to that. Sometimes he tried to bond with some of the humans but it didn't really work. Juvia and Totomaru were the only exceptions but still, he wasn't completely at ease with them sometimes.

Gajeel knew it was linked to his fear of being left behind but he would never admit it even for all the iron of the world.
Sometimes loneliness made him feel empty as if nothing was important anymore and he could do nothing about it. When it was one of those days, just leaving his bed was hard. He missed his father more than anything and he hated it. It made him feel miserable and he couldn't even do anything about it since it was a natural need for a dragon.

They were social creatures, a dragon needed a pack or a tribe as some people could say. Metalicana told him about dragons that stayed alone like Poison dragon but they were really rare and he wasn't one of them. He wished he was more than once. But even his father who didn't like people needed a pack and so did Gajeel.

"Gajeel! Master Jose is calling for you!" One of his guildmates screamed at him from the other side of his door.

With a sigh, Gajeel got up and went through the guild quarters to the master's office. Times went quickly when he was lost in his thought so he hadn't noticed that it was now past nine A.M.

He nervously moved his shoulders when he felt the looks of his guildmates on his back. He didn't know if they were angry, scared, or disgusted but honestly, he didn't really want to know. When he heard a snort he turned to them with a death glare. Now, who was laughing exactly? Him. Especially when he saw their faces before they ran off.

"Gajeel! You shouldn't look at them like that, they're all scared now." Juvia said distractedly turning her umbrella.

"Aww but they're so easy to scare away Juvia! Don't be so stiff" Totomaru added laughing at the few men who ran away.

Gajeel raised an eyebrow when the two of them spoke, he was close to Jose's office and they were still there. They must have been summoned as well. Aria and Sol were waiting in front of the door. For them apparently, because Sol started singing when Totomaru greeted them.