Chapter 2

Nothing ever happens by chance; everything happens with a purpose and for a reason.

At least, that was what Cassidy thought. He had no reason not to. For him and many others, that way of thinking was all they had, the only way they could find hope in the darkness that was this world. The same could not be said for poor Abigail's way of thinking.

Well, not anymore. She was once full of hope and loved to tell everyone that everything happened for a reason. and it was still true. Every bit of pain, sorrow, and heartbreak had all happened for some reason, even if she was too stubborn or blind to see it.

Of course, we all go through that 'all hope is lost' stage in life and for Abbi, it was definitely understandable. The world had never been kind to her, not once, but she'd always been kind to it. A ray of sunshine in the bleak rain, the hope, much like the biker going into the nearby building or the couple on that first date protecting each other. That hope was Abbi herself because no matter what, no matter the pain, she would always be a highlight because of her ability to overcome, and she would overcome this one way or another. Hell, even if it took some sort of cosmic shift or a push from the universe, she would get there eventually. She always did.

Because of the dumb luck of running into Cassidy and going back to his apartment, she was alive. She didn't take her life. She didn't become that macabre piece of art on that bench in the park, arms open wide to let the world see that she had gone out on her own terms on the park bench because she wanted to go out in her home, and being homeless, that was the only home she knew.

Cassidy had put a stop to that. He didn't mean to, no, he didn't even know that it was a thought in her head. Far from it, actually, but maybe that was him always wanting to see the best in each and every person that he met, even if that meant no one afforded him that same basic human kindness.

But now, they were both on their own again. Despite his best attempts to change her mind, she had left and it hit him hard, almost hard enough to make some bad decisions of his own. He was good at that, making bad decisions such as getting high, downing a beer, and hooking up with some common street whore.

Well, that's not what he wanted to think of them or of himself. No, he hated making these bad choices. He hated using women; it wasn't him. But, he had been used one too many times and sometimes, even if it's just for a few hours, he liked to be in control, whether it be from his choice of high, drink, or sexual partner. Almost, he thought to himself, like Abigail.

That made him chuckle in a way, not one of jovial laughter but sadness. Complete and total sadness, yes, but more than that, on a deeper level, it was loneliness. As always, he shook it off, just as he had done for years. That's just how things were, just how the world worked.

You get up and you carry on, because everything happens for a reason.

A complete week passed since Cassidy laid eyes on Abigail in that bar. Part of him really thought when he was getting dressed, hitting the faithful bong a few times and hyping himself up with self confidence, that she'd really be there. That this Friday would be a repeat of the last.

But, the world doesn't work that way, does it?

After hours of waiting, he realized he was wrong. This wasn't going to be a repeat. It was worse than a one night stand; those come with no strings attached. However, he reached the heart shattering realization that it was like that one visit had each and every string attached, and they had just been ripped out slowly and painfully, one by one.

Cassidy chuckled to himself again, drinking alone again, sleeping alone, he thought. He almost took out his phone. He almost called his best friends, to whom he had become something of a ghost since they started college what seemed like forever ago. They had big plans, unlike him, and he didn't want to burden them with his mess.