Chapter 11

As Abigail sat and waited for the time to come for Cassidy and the rest of the group to pick her and Sandy up, it was like time had slowed down. She could feel her heartbeat – or was it the ticking of the clock? She couldn't tell. Sandy had left her alone in their room to give her space while she went to finish getting ready herself, although Abigail wasn't sure if time alone was good for her right now. She felt like a scared little girl with a schoolyard crush. It was almost as if the confession of her love would make the perfect heaven on earth that she'd always dreamed of or damn her life to the pits of hell.

Can I really take another heartbreak? She thought to herself. She swore she'd never let herself be this vulnerable again. But dammit, I love him, she continued thinking to herself. She wasn't going to let past experiences stop her from the happiness she knew she could have. She had a life she wanted to live and one way or another, she was gonna live that life and she wanted to live it with Cassidy. She knew that from the very moment of their first interaction.

Whether she hated to admit it or not, it was true. She loved him and she knew he felt the same. He had to, right? She had to shake off the feeling of rejection. No, he does, and by the end of tonight, it's going to be official. We will be a power couple. Everyone will either want to be us or fear us. She reassured herself, giving her confidence back.

With all of her internal struggle, she hadn't even noticed the actual passing of time. Time flies when you're trapped in your own mind, she joked to herself before deciding she'd had enough alone time. She took out her phone and texted Sandy to see where she was so she could also put the finishing touches on getting ready. She knew by the time she was done, the time to leave would've arrived and it would be do or die time. No going back, no fear. She always did her best in those moments and this would be no expectation.

Upon meeting up with Sandy once again, she noticed that Sandy's 'getting ready' was turning herself into a completely different person. Her look was more brightened, more to stand out like her presented personality. But unlike her normal, muted colors, 50s throwback hipster look, she thought it was cute. It honestly gave her confidence and she definitely needed it today. They wanted to be loud and proud tonight and that's what she was going to do.

"You look amazing! It's like you're a whole new person."

"Yeah, I usually become more alive at night. I tend to not like the daytime. It's hard to be myself in the light."

"Like a vampire?"

"Something like that, but not really. I'm just a girl who's not as confident in her own skin as she'd like to be, but at night, in that lifestyle, you can be anyone you want, because in the morning, that's not you."

"So more like a 'behind closed doors' type of thing?"

"Yeah, definitely like that. We all wear masks, Abbi. Some of us just have different ones for different people and different times of day."

"I'd like to put on one that gives me confidence and makes me not so scared, because I honestly feel like I'm drowning."

"You have no reason to not be confident. You are absolutely stunning from head to toe. You're an absolute joy to be around. Your personality brings light and life to any room you're in. Cassidy is a lucky man and has just the same qualities. Like, you two are so perfect and perfect for each other that when you fuck, you might cause world peace."

"I can't tell if that was a compliment or if you're just saying I'm like a 'goodie good' or something."

"No, I'm saying that anyone who got to watch you two cuties bang would never be upset again."

"Are you coming on to me?"

"No, why? You looking for a third?"

"No, I don't think so. I couldn't please one person let alone two. Threesomes aren't my vibe."