Chapter 6

As Cassidy and Abigail entered their new home (or school, rather) for the first time. neither had any idea what to expect. I mean, what were you supposed to expect when your new college was named after Edgar Allan Poe and was the star attraction in a fishing town?

In reality, they both kinda chuckled to themselves because they realized just how much this place seemed like the plot of a bad slasher film from the 90s. Or even worse, that they'd accidentally fallen into Maine as written by Stephen King. But no, it was just a somber town and it seemed like whoever had named the school was in on it, which somehow made it more funny to the pair.

Nevertheless, they couldn't have expected the weird and, to at least one of them, funny interaction they received as a greeting.

As the two entered the school they were told they needed to report to the dean of the school for their class schedules and to finish the registration process. As they entered the dean's office, they were stopped by a gentleman who could best be described by the two as having childhood wonder. However, it also seemed like life had been extremely rough on him. Maybe he was given this secretary job as a part of one of those second chance programs that some inmates go into once they got out, they both thought, knowing exactly what the other was thinking.

"May I help you?" The man spoke with a rough voice but it still held the friendliness of a child.

"Uh yeah, we are new here. We start on Monday and we were told to come here to get our classes and finish getting signed up."

"Oh fuck, you must be Abigail and that must be that dumb fuck Cassidy."

"Umm, excuse me?"

"Oh, shit. I probably shouldn't have said that. Joli is going to beat my ass for that shit."

"Have we done something wrong?"

"Well, she hasn't and you haven't yet."

"What do you mean I haven't yet?"

"Listen, Joli has a major stick up her ass about slackers and boy, to say that you have a reputation, is well, a fuckin' joke in its own right."

"But I've never been here? How does she even know me?"

"How the fuck should I know? Probably some fuckin' narcs."

"But the only people here that would know me here aren't my family is..."

"Is fuckin' narcs, I'm telling ya. Now have a seat and I'll let her know you're here. Oh, and Cassidy? Good luck, boy. You're gonna need it."

"But- But I've not done anything."

"Buddy, with some women– I mean people, it's guilty until proven innocent"

"But I did–"

"Cass, just shut up."

"But–"

"Listen to the woman, Mr. Pussy Whipped."

"I'm not."

"It's not worth arguing."

The two took a seat outside of the office and waited to be called. It seemed like they waited forever and ever, so long even that Abigail sent Cassidy in to check and see if they needed to just come back later. Upon returning to the desk, the man behind it laughed to himself.

"Boy, don't you know how to wait? Or do what you're asked?"

"I was just checking to see how long it would be. We can always come back."

"Let me text her and see ... wait, holy fuck, you're not going to believe this shit. I forgot to send the message saying you were here. Classic me, always being a dumbass. Sometimes I think she keeps me around just to laugh at my dumbfuckery."