Chapter 3

The morning after was much like you'd expect from two people who clearly had a connection but were in two completely different stages of their life where they couldn't do something about it. As sweet as the night before was, as much as falling asleep in a sweet embrace was just what the heart ordered, the reservations from the past were still there, still strong. Too strong for a chance at two happiness to break through.

Abigail was a woman of her word, though, and as much as she was skeptical, Cassidy seemed like a genuinely good guy. So much so that as much as she knew he could hurt her, she couldn't hurt him. She'd have breakfast with him and go on her way afterwards as a 'thank you' for everything he had done for her, even though she felt she already had repaid that debt. But, with a kind heart comes the kind reward to pay it forward. To show him he wasn't alone, and if he didn't have her, he could at least have someone.

So the two who, by this point, had only shared a few words of 'good morning' and awkward smiles, did what to some would come off as a walk of shame and walked into their restaurant of choice: a local Waffle House. Cassidy had said pancakes but after some discussion in the car on the way there, they both decided that they preferred waffles.

The small talk, however small and sparse it may have been, brightened Cassidy and Abigail could see that. And, the more the 'not date' would go on, the more both thought, maybe I'll open up more. This put a smile on each of their faces. A friend, some reassurance, a chance encounter to give them both hope.

As they sat in the booth, the waiter walked over, a man who looked tough as nails. Though he seemed young, it also seemed that life had not been kind to him. A name tag simply reading Jon adorned his apron.

"OC, ya dumb son of a bitch, how are ya? Bagged ya some tail last night, I see, and even stayed around to get some breakfast! Normally it's pump and dump with you! Color me shocked. I know what you want, but what will you have, doll?"

"I have a name and I'm not a hookup. I'm not even really feeling like a friend at this point. Just staying true to my word and grabbing a waffle with a guy who helped me out of a rough spot, nothing more, nothing less."

"Woah, woah, calm down! No need to get hostile. I'm just cutting up."

"Okay then, I'm just making sure we understand each other. I'll have a waffle and a double hash brown."

"Alright, I'll go get that in for ya. Did you hear what they want, Renee?"

"Yeah! Cass wants his same-old, same-old and she wants the waffle and hash. Oh, and Jon? We may be in a diner but it's not the 50s. Maybe don't act like a prick?"

"There goes my lady keeping me in check again. I'm sorry miss, I'm used to hanging with my boys. Sometimes I forget to watch my mouth."

"It's okay. It seems you're easy enough to put in your place, so it doesn't look like we will have much of a problem," Abigail's response completely shut down Jon. She could hear the cook, Renee, she believed he had said her name was, giggling from the back.

I guess she had really gotten to the poor guy because when it was time for them to get their food, it was Renee who brought it to their table.

"Don't mind him. He thinks because he runs with a tough crowd he can act anyway he wants but step to him and he folds. He'd never let his boys see that though, but since he's on break pouting, let me know if you need anything."

"Will do, and hey, if he steps too far out of line, don't check his ass, leave his ass. You seem too good to put up with this shit."

"Trust me sweetie, it's him that puts up with my shit. I'm tougher than he is. It takes a lot to break me. I'm not barbie. I'm not gonna break."