Chapter 17

Isaac

I drove in silence with my wife sitting beside me on the passenger seat, she was angry and that was evident from the way she crossed her arms over her chest and directed her deathly glares towards me after every few seconds, if looks could kill I'd be dead by now.

The words her mum told me when she went upstairs to pack her bags kept replaying in my head, she told me how Amber has been through a lot, how she isn't as tough as she claims to be and how our marriage was arranged from the beginning, her mother wanted me to take care of her and give her all the love she deserves... I chuckled thinking how absurd all this was, if only her mother was wise enough to understand that love doesn't happen so easily, especially when it's all arranged... me and her can never work.

                   _________________

"Can you atleast tell me what your aunt is like? If she's nice or not?" Amber asked me as we waited for my aunt to arrive in the living room.

"She's good" I replied sternly not looking at her, only I know how good my aunt is.

"Master Ethan has arrived with aunt Evelyn and your cousin Andrew" Christine announced, my mood instantly shifted, what the hell is Andrew doing here? Why did aunt Evelyn never tell me that he's coming as well?

Ethan entered the living room followed by my dear aunt and cousin who already had a wide grin spread across his face.

Me and Amber, we both stood up to greet our guests, I stepped forward "It's so good to see you aunt Evelyn, it's been so long" I said embracing her.

"Oh shush you and Ethan barely care about this poor aunt of yours" she stated breaking free from my embrace "But it feels really good to see both my nephews, the two of you have become quite the men" she complimented looking at me with pure adoration in her eyes.

Her gaze then slowly shifted and her eyes landed on Amber who was standing there looking at my aunt. I was about to introduce her but my aunt did that herself.

"And you must be Amber right?" she asked looking at her with her scrutinizing gaze... Amber slowly nodded her head.

"It's really nice to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you from Isaac" Amber said fidgeting with her fingers, she seemed nervous but I wouldn't blame her for that, my aunt is the kind of person who can make anyone nervous with her strange and powerful presence.

"Oh please there's no need for you to be so sugar sweet, I know my nephew very well, he's not someone who would go around talking about his aunt" aunt Evelyn told Amber with a wave of her hand and I sighed, it's going to be a long weekend.

"You're pretty by the way... you two make a good match, but honestly speaking... for a moment I thought you were one of the maids... you might wanna take care of yourself and look more presentable, you're married into the Reid family after all" came my aunt's observation as she now stood directly infront of my wife.

"She just lost her grandmother" Ethan piped in and then my eyes landed on the devil that was standing beside Ethan, I almost forgot about my cousin.

"That's horrible" Andrew commented and came straight for Amber.

"I'm Andrew by the way, your husband's favourite cousin" he introduced himself to Amber and she gave him a small smile before extending her hand forward and saying "Nice to meet you Andrew, I'm Amber".

"I'm so sorry about your loss" Andrew said and instead of shaking hands with her, he put his arms around her body, engulfing her in a hug, I could clearly see how her body tensed for a moment before she hugged him back. I can see how his hands rested a little too long at her lower back before he retrieved them and she backed away immediately creating a fair distance between them.

"Now your wife didn't care to give me a hug but it's okay" my aunt commented and I groaned inwardly in frustration, why did Andrew have to come?!

"It's not like that-" Amber tried to explain but I cut her off mid sentence, I can't tolerate this any longer.

"Andrew it seems like you're only interested in meeting my wife... have you forgotten your cousin?" I asked playfully ruffling his hair with my hand, he hates it and that's why I love doing it.

"Oh come on you're ruining my hair, I'm not a kid anymore" he groaned clearly frustrated by me.

"You'll always be the little Andrew for me who used to run after pretty girls who were way out of his league" I teased and saw his expression change into one of anger, he wasn't liking this but I was enjoying it, maybe next time he'll remember to keep his hands off other people's wives.

"You haven't changed one bit cousin" he said with a grin.

"Neither have you" I replied, meanwhile Ethan went and stood beside my wife.

"Hey, you don't look very good, maybe you should go and rest upstairs" he told her and she gave him a slight nod before saying "I think my migraine is back, I'm going upstairs for a bit... you guys enjoy the family reunion".

Her voice was as polite as it could be but I know she wasn't happy with my aunt's remarks and my cousin's behaviour.

"It was really nice to meet you both, I'm looking forward to enjoying the weekend with you all" and with that she almost ran upstairs probably happy to be out of this weird situation she was put in but that's what happens when you marry into the Reid family, we're all a bunch of weirdos.